Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Booked a hog hunt

Old 05-17-2008, 08:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Booked a hog hunt

Well a friend and I booked a hog hunt in Texas for March of 2009. I am shooting a 60 lb. 82 Airbourne with a 29.5" draw. My current arrows weight 388 grains and should be flying about 300-305 fps (I haven't ran it throught the chrono yet). I am considering using Rage broadheads because that is what I have and they fly great for me but have heard that fixed blade heads are far better when hunting hogs. If I go to a fixed blade I will probably shoot the slick trick. Any suggestions? Any other info on hog hunting would be greatly appreciated as well. We have never left Nebraska to hunt so this is a whole new ball game for us!
Old 05-17-2008, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Booked a hog hunt

The rages will be fine.

Just avoid the shoulder, the heart is lower than that of a deer but a solid double lung hit will put them on the ground fast.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everything you mentioned will do great on hogs...Good Luck!
Old 05-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where did you book a hunt down here? Have fun and don't forget pictures!
Old 05-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had poor luck with the Rage on hogs, penatration was not good I switched to Thunder heads and Slick Tricks and both have done well.
Lee in AR
Old 05-19-2008, 12:50 PM

Penetration is important, but I want blood right away. In the thick cover in florida, a little less penetration and a lot more blood is more important. Pigs don't like to bleed and if you don't have blood right now, you can lose them easy. Go with what you feel is right for your current terrain and landscape. If there is not a lot of cover and you can see where they run, you'll be fine. Down here they disappear into the palmettos right away and you can lose them even with a great hit. Best of luck to you.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

We booked the hunt with Dos Plumas hunting ranch. Everything we could find about them was positive and their price was pretty good too. What is the part of the hog that is called "the shield"? I assume that this is the shoulder but I am not sure. Are there any sites or pics that show where the hogs vitals are located? There would be nothing worse than hitting one of these things in the shoulder.

One other question, how do you guys care for the meat on hogs? We were thinking about taking a chest freezer with us in the back of my truck and bringing the meat home that way. I think that we will pay to have the hogs quartered but I am not any butchering expert.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:50 AM

What is the part of the hog that is called "the shield"? I assume that this is the shoulder but I am not sure. Are there any sites or pics that show where the hogs vitals are located?

This first one is for a rifle and believe me this works. They drop where they stand!

This one shows the vitals.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

They are shaped different. I would have shot farther back without seeing those pics. Their heart is well guarded with it being that low and also behind the leg bone. No wonder you hear stories about how hard they are to kill!
Old 05-22-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The SHIELD is a thick layer of tough ass skin (I assume)that builds upover time, b/c the hogs fight with their tusks (teeth) and the sheild protects them when they are fighting with other hogs and it pretty much covers the vitals. I shot a hog in south texas that had a heck of a shield on him, they get thick and tough.I have been hunting hogs here in Texas since the early 90's and if the hog is in the 200+ range you might want to consider a quartering away shot (no matter which b/h you shoot). Or if he has a real big front end on him.....When you take a quartering away shot it will allow your arrow to go behind the sheild and into the boiler room...
I have heard nothing but good stuff about dos plumos too, I have a good friend that is taking his son up there for an exotic hunt this year....Good Luck and let us know how it turns out for you

Oh and by the way I have taken in the neighborhood of 75 hogs with a mechanical broadhead, a vortex 100g pro. If you have had good luck with your b/h's use them. I have never had problems with my b/h's in the last 10 years but also keep in mind all b/h's are not created equal. I know guys that have had problems with other brands but I have heard all good things about the rage as well.....Again good luck....

Quick Reply: Booked a hog hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.