Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Any pre-rut activity going on? >

Any pre-rut activity going on?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Any pre-rut activity going on?

Old 10-20-2003, 09:34 AM
Fork Horn

Default Any pre-rut activity going on?

I was out all weekend with 3 other hunters and none of us saw much buck activity to speak of. My dad saw a small 6 pt standing in a scrape on Saturday morning, but that was it for him.

I saw a nice buck, probably 140-150 class, on Saturday night but he was just kind of meandering around the woods, feeding here and there and didn' t seem to be in any particular hury to go much of anywhere. Eventually he fed out of sight and that was it.

I' ve seen a few rubs and even fewer scrapes. I' m thinking it' s still a little bit early to be seeing a ton of sign and movement, but of course I could always be wrong.

What is everyone else seeing?
Old 10-20-2003, 11:17 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any pre-rut activity going on?

Four of us were hunting in Southern Ohio over the weekend. The bucks were moving and all of them were grunting. All of us heard grunting deer. I have never heard as much deer vocalization as I did over the weekend. One of the bucks was a 20+" deer and was grunting to beat the band. His neck was huge.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Any pre-rut activity going on?

Well what the heck? That' s no fair.

We saw some buck movement locally (NW suburbs of Chicago) late last week, but when we got out to our " good" spot in NE, IL there didn' t seem to be much of anything going on. Very strange.

Hopefully this weekend it picks up.