Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Poosey Conservation Area in Missouri? >

Poosey Conservation Area in Missouri?

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Poosey Conservation Area in Missouri?

Old 11-24-2014, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Poosey Conservation Area in Missouri?

Hi everyone I am new. Tried to find a thread area to post that in but couldn't find one. So I thought I would post it in here. My question is has anyone ever hunted Poosey Conservation Area? I currently hunt down on the coast near Pensacola, Florida. My friend and I area scheduling a hunt next year for Oct 31st-Nov 8th and he has a friend that normally tags out there every year and says it is a great place to hunt. How do you hunt out there? Are scents good? Calls like rattling? Down here in Florida we don't do anything like rattling, or really calling. Our buck to doe ratio is so out of shape that it usually doesn't work. All information is appreciated!! Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!!! Also what are the normal bedding areas in the midwest? Usually here in Florida it is a branch head or near a creek. I am kind of out of my elimate here and would like to plan far in advance before just taking a climber and a weeks worth of hunting stuff.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 11-24-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brandon--I have never been to Poosey CA so I can not help you much. I hunt in Ralls Co, over 100 miles east of there. I assume that Poosey has some rougher terrain for it to be a conservation area. Most of the landscape in that part of the state has long gentle slopes, row crops(corn and soybeans) make up the bulk of the crops with some milo and wheat thrown in. There may be pastures and hay fields too, fescue, orchardgrass, some warmseason grasses for pasture, maybe some alfalfa for hay. Various clovers usually are also seeded into the grass stands from time to time. This is good deer habitat; mixed farming with some cover. The deer are larger then the usual Florida deer. Also, using dogs is not legal here as it is in FL. I have never used scents, but they do sell them here so someone uses them. They do use "rattlers", either real deer antlers or fakes to sound like a buck battle is taking place. We also use various grunt calls which are effective. Not knowing what to expect in the area, I would bring a rifle capable of a long shot as well as something close. I use a bolt action 30-06 with a low-powered scope which I think covers both possibilities. Bring warm clothing, insulated coveralls are widely used. That part of the state can be very cold with a NW wind. They sell many chemical handwarmers and some wear electric socks here along with a warm hat and some face protection. Hunter orange hat and vest are required here. I hope this helps some, good luck!!!

Last edited by Jenks; 12-13-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brandon--I did not try to answer some of the questions so I will try again. Bedding areas can be in wooded areas but usually seem to be in brushy cover or a field of grass where they can lay and be unseen. They will not bolt and run if they think they are not noticed and will sometimes let you get within a hundred feet or so. They are very good at hiding so bring some 8 or 10 power field glasses to help. Most of northern MO has a antler-point restriction--if a deer has horns over 3 inches long, it must have at least four points on one side to be taken. A buck without that fourth point on one side or the other is not legal. A doe or a button buck can be taken. I always carry field glasses and do a lot of glassing to spot bedded deer in the grass and to count points to see if it is a shooter. I pay a lot of attention to the upper parts of a slope, seems deer like to lay near the hill top so they can jump up and go over the hilltop and be gone if they are spooked.

Maybe someone with some knowledge of that area of MO will give you some pointers. Again, good luck!!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jenks
Brandon--I did not try to answer some of the questions so I will try again. Bedding areas can be in wooded areas but usually seem to be in brushy cover or a field of grass where they can lay and be unseen. They will not bolt and run if they think they are not noticed and will sometimes let you get within a hundred feet or so. They are very good at hiding so bring some 8 or 10 power field glasses to help. Most of northern MO has a antler-point restriction--if a deer has horns over 3 inches long, it must have at least four points on one side to be taken. A buck without that fourth point on one side or the other is not legal. A doe or a button buck can be taken. I always carry field glasses and do a lot of glassing to spot bedded deer in the grass and to count points to see if it is a shooter. I pay a lot of attention to the upper parts of a slope, seems deer like to lay near the hill top so they can jump up and go over the hilltop and be gone if they are spooked.

Maybe someone with some knowledge of that area of MO will give you some pointers. Again, good luck!!
Thank you for all the help!
Old 03-11-2015, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

With the dates you've posted you'll be hitting it at the best time of archery season(Rifle Season doesn't start until 11/14).

I would definitely bring some decent sheds for rattling or pick up a rattle-bag for the trip.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some light "Rattling" may work closer to the Rut in Missouri,I've had better luck using the Doe in Estrous call or the "Can Call" or a simple mouth blown Fawn Call to get Deer to come in.If a Your Hunting the Big Ozarks Woods it can be tougher to pattern the Deer in the larger areas.I use a climbing stand or a 1-man ladder stand and it needs Your name,phone number and I think Conservation number on it if You leave the stand or climber in the woods?No screw in steps or screw-in hangers allowed to put in to the tree's.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

www.mdc.mo.gov

Type in Poosey Conservation Area when You get to the Site and there's lots if great info about the Area on it to help You out!