HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Poosey Conservation Area in Missouri?
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2014, 06:52 AM
Jenks
Nontypical Buck

Brandon--I have never been to Poosey CA so I can not help you much. I hunt in Ralls Co, over 100 miles east of there. I assume that Poosey has some rougher terrain for it to be a conservation area. Most of the landscape in that part of the state has long gentle slopes, row crops(corn and soybeans) make up the bulk of the crops with some milo and wheat thrown in. There may be pastures and hay fields too, fescue, orchardgrass, some warmseason grasses for pasture, maybe some alfalfa for hay. Various clovers usually are also seeded into the grass stands from time to time. This is good deer habitat; mixed farming with some cover. The deer are larger then the usual Florida deer. Also, using dogs is not legal here as it is in FL. I have never used scents, but they do sell them here so someone uses them. They do use "rattlers", either real deer antlers or fakes to sound like a buck battle is taking place. We also use various grunt calls which are effective. Not knowing what to expect in the area, I would bring a rifle capable of a long shot as well as something close. I use a bolt action 30-06 with a low-powered scope which I think covers both possibilities. Bring warm clothing, insulated coveralls are widely used. That part of the state can be very cold with a NW wind. They sell many chemical handwarmers and some wear electric socks here along with a warm hat and some face protection. Hunter orange hat and vest are required here. I hope this helps some, good luck!!!

Last edited by Jenks; 12-13-2014 at 06:56 AM.