Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Missouri

Old 09-02-2003, 03:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default Missouri

Will be bow hunting north Missouri the last of Oct. Have never been there, what should I expect terrain temp.etc.
Old 09-05-2003, 03:08 PM

Default RE: Missouri

You picked a great time to go in my book! The last week of October has always been my favorite time to hunt in n.w. Missouri. Seems to pick up on the action really well about then. We have had little to no rain, as you already know, so expect to hunt in warmer weather, as the last three years I have hunted in short-sleeved shirts in the first week of November. My strategy this year is to lay off of the food plots and concentrate on the areas of isolated water. The drought has all but dried up even the largest of ponds in some areas. The terrain varies depending on what part on north Missouri your are hunting in. But all in all, it is mildly rolling farm country (crops of soybeans and corn being in the majority) with timber and pastures mixed in. Riverbluffs along the n.w. corner are steep and thick, but well worth the effort if you are lucky enough to pick up some ground in there. The n.e. corner of the state is a good area, possibly holding the next world record book buck along with s.e. Iowa and western Illinios. Northern central Missouri has a large amount of timber, and is great for tukey and deer. Lots of alfalfa and brougham(sp?) hay fields are spattered across the entire northern third of the state from river to river.

Good luck!!! Let us know how you do!
Old 09-05-2003, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

GO HOME HOOSIER!!!! Just kidding. Richie covered all there is to know about northen MO. If you can hunt near creek or river bottoms, you can' t, or won' t miss action. We had rain last weekend, so hopefully everything isn' t burnt up. Good Luck[8D]
Old 09-06-2003, 02:28 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the info! Looking forward to hunting some quality Whitetails for a change.