Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Southern Illinois hunting >

Southern Illinois hunting

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Southern Illinois hunting

Old 04-24-2003, 11:39 PM

Default Southern Illinois hunting

I have been invited to hunt a farm in Miller City, IL. How is the hunting there? I have been told I can start buying tags in July and they usually last a month so that is not an issue. I was just wondering about the hunting near that town. This is my first time hunting out of state.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Southern Illinois hunting

I am from Missouri and have hunted in southern Illinios for about 10 years and the hunting is excellent, I have never heard of Miller City, do you know what county it is in?
Old 04-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Southern Illinois is fantastic hunting! What were you invited to hunt? Deer?

Bow or shotgun?

My family is from Southern Illinois and I' ve hunted it pretty much exclusively all my life. I' ll tell ya what I can when you post back. (I consider myself an honest guy so I' ll tell ya now, I' ve " forgotten" all the super hotspots I know of-LOL)

Uncle Matt (in IL)
Old 04-29-2003, 11:36 PM

I was invited to come up and go deer hunting. I only use my bow so I guess it is bow. I still need do not have all the details. This is my brothers who lives in LA best friend, so we will see. Thanks for the updates.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Unless Illinois changed for 2003 you better do some checking. Last yr. you had to apply for non-resident archery permits as their was a cap.
Old 05-11-2003, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

ATTENTION NON-RESIDENT ARCHERY DEER HUNTERS: Illinois archery deer hunting permits for non-residents of the state for the 2003-2004 season will go on sale on Saturday, July 12 at 8 a.m. The permits for non-residents will only be available by telephone using a credit card to complete the transaction.

Beginning at 8 a.m. on Saturday, July 12, non-resident archery deer permits will be available via toll-free telephone using a credit card at 1-888-6-PERMIT (1-888-673-7648).

The 2003 non-resident archery deer permit fee is $226 plus a processing fee. This permit includes an either-sex and an antlerless-only permit. In addition to their permit, non-resident deer hunters must also purchase a non-resident hunting license and a habitat stamp. Non-resident hunters may purchase either the annual license ($50.75) or a five-day license ($28.75) depending on the amount of time they will be hunting.

Non-resident archery deer hunters are limited to one archery deer permit for the 2003 hunting season. The sale of these permits is capped at 12,843 (the cap represents the number of non-resident permits that have been sold annually since the 2000-2001 archery deer season). Non-resident archery deer permits are not available over-the-counter at hunting license vendors.

During the 2002 permit sales period, these permits were completely sold out within four weeks. More than 2,000 hunters inquired about non-resident permits after they were sold out. Permits will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis until the quota is reached. Habitat stamps and hunting licenses will also be available to callers, who should have their hunter safety certificate number on hand if born after January 1, 1980. Applicants must also provide their social security and driver' s license numbers.

A processing fee of $13 will be charged in addition to the normal issuing fees. If any permits remain unsold as of September 2, 2003, they will also be available from seven Illinois Department of Natural Resources offices until sold out. The offices are located in Sterling, Bartlett, Champaign, Alton, Benton, Springfield and Chicago. Addresses and phone numbers can be found at the IDNR web site (http://dnr.state.il.us), by consulting an Illinois Digest of Hunting and Trapping Regulations, or by calling 217/782-2965. Also, please visit our web site (http://dnr.state.il.us) for updates.