Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Help-hunting southern Illinois this year. >

Help-hunting southern Illinois this year.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Help-hunting southern Illinois this year.

Old 10-15-2002, 08:47 PM

Default Help-hunting southern Illinois this year.

I need your help. I will be hunting Johnson county in southern Ill for the first time this year. And I was looking for some info on deer movement for the gun season in late Nov. Are they in post rut at this time or what can I expect. I am used to hunting northern Wisconsin where it can get pretty cold. What is the weather typicaly in late November so I can dress correctly. Thanks for any help you can give.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:18 PM

Default RE: Help-hunting southern Illinois this year.

Deer movement that weekend will be determined by the weather and hunting pressure. Most of the time, opening shotgun season is by no means late or post rut, bucks will still be out. Are you hunting alone, in a small group, or large group? What is the size of the area you are hunting? that will determine your strategy. Shotgun down there is a lot different than bow. It'll be tough for you to take all of the scent precautions, wind direction, etc, just to have the locals running deer and slinging lead by 9:00. Take into consideration those factors and develop a strategy. If there will be several guys there, hike back into the thick stuff and wait for the deer to look for shelter.

the weather could be anywhere from 80 (last year) to 30-40. be prepared for sudden temp changes.

Like i said, shotgun season is a lot different than bow season, don't let anything surprise you, and sometimes a wacky strategy pays off. i've seen deer killed when we were eating lunch, after the neighbors ran deer our way. you just never know.