Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Southern Illinois Public Hunting Land? >

Southern Illinois Public Hunting Land?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Southern Illinois Public Hunting Land?

Old 07-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Southern Illinois Public Hunting Land?

Anyone familiar with any public land open to bow hunting in Southern Illinois? Has anyone ever hunted at Red Hills State park?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Southern Illinois Public Hunting Land?

Yes to the first question. What would you like to know?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where have you hunted? How Crowded? Quality of deer seen?Ever hunted any Illinois state parks?
Old 07-30-2007, 08:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I grew up about 7 miles from Red Hill. I have never hunted it, so cannot give details on it, but I can tell you that the general vicinity is crawling with deer.
It is far from any large population center and is surrounded by private land where it is still relatively easy to get permission to hunt. So, i would ASSUME that the park would not be too crowded with hunters, but I could easily be wrong.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

Todd,
Shoot me your email and I will get back to you on my 2006 hunt and how I planned it.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up about 7 miles from Red Hill. I have never hunted it, so cannot give details on it, but I can tell you that the general vicinity is crawling with deer.
It is far from any large population center and is surrounded by private land where it is still relatively easy to get permission to hunt. So, i would ASSUME that the park would not be too crowded with hunters, but I could easily be wrong.
Yeah thats what I'm hoping. I bowhunted 3 years in a row near Olney and Newton with a buddy who grew up in that area and knew a few farmers that would let him hunt their land. Unfortunately my buddy was killed in a car accident last year. On our trips we drove past this park several times while we were up there and that's why I mention it. I also think there is a park called Sam Parr in Newton. I know that west central Illinois gets all the hype for big bucks but man we saw great bucks every year in this area.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, there are some big bucks in the Embarras River bottoms, and everywhere else too. This past year one was takenoutside of Claremont (about 6 miles fromRed Hill) that was supposed to be close to making it to Boone and Crockett or something like that.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:41 AM
Spike

Shawnee national forest...
Old 08-08-2007, 11:20 AM

there is a magazine called outdoor illinois you can get from the dnr it spotlights a different public acces area every month the last two have both been in southern illinois i highly recommend reading this magazine for both residents and nonresidents
Old 08-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Kyle, I get it every chance I get. It is a great publication.

Spudrow from Mo

Quick Reply: Southern Illinois Public Hunting Land?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.