Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Opinion

Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Fork Horn

Default Opinion

I am a registered Republican, but I have not always voted that way. Just to give you some info about me and my opinions. I was born and raised in southern Illinois, on a cattle and grain farm, went to college. I am 28 years old, been married for almost 7 years. I spent a year in Baghdad, Iraq (2004-2005). 5 people in my company were killed and 28purple hearts were awarded tomy unit, plus a Presidetial unit citation. Yes, I am proud of what my company did in Iraq.

Part of my question is this. My grandfather is a retired school teacher and preacher. His opinion of the constitution is different than mine. The constitution grants us the freedom of religion. He says they meant the freedom of Christianity (which Christianity is the only religionour founding fathers new of).

On that note it makes me think of what our founding fathers would have thought if they could look foward 200 years into the future. I really believe if they could, They would have made it manditory to serve in the military to be president of the USA. What do you think?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opinion

i'm not for sure. of the all the Presidents only a little over half have held military positions. John adams our second President never served. and there was also a period of 6 Presidents in a row who didn't serve.

DO I think them having military service will make them a better President. maybe in matters that would relate to that. but as to the econmoy or labor or trade. Overall No

Would the founding fathers have made it manditory. yes probably. This country was founded during an uneasy time basically during battle.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

I don't really have an opinion, but I'm glad I served my country in the Air Force for 4 years. I was lucky and served when there wasn't whole lot going on. Thank You Birddog!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

THANKS BIRDDOG:

ICOME FROM A MILITARY FAMILY AND AM PROUD TO SAY SO. I had three uncles that Were on the USS PENNSYLVANIAin Pearl Harbor the day of INFAMY. They are dead now but war never leaves your thoughts as long as you live. I lost a brother to the Korean Conflict as it is known by our generation.
I feel that a person should experience war so as they know what it is like to the men and women who proudly up hold freedom for all. The men and women who go off to war are the bravest people alive.
I SAY I THINK A PRESIDENT MUST KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE.
The worst feeling a person can have, is like when we came home from VIETNAM and were spit on and called baby killers. We did our countries duty and all we wanted was to be welcomed home. The people who burn flags and called us names, got their freedoms from men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice, so they had the freedom to do what they did. I say again war must be the last resort because it is HELL.
As for what would our forefathers say? I feel they would turn over in their graves as to some things that are going on.

I must add this- The day 911 took place the muslim community (SOMALI) residents in a small town not too far from me were out on the street corner burning the AMERICAN flag and chanting down with US. I had all I could do to just drive by. I just don't know what to think any more!
Old 02-28-2009, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks mr.mc54, I feel our biggest supporters when we returned home were the Vietnam Vets. Except for maybe one WWII vet, she was at the airport when we flew in and hugged everyone who got off of our plane.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Birddog3412 ...IMO the constitution gave religious freedom to all people, no matter what religion that might be. So I guess I would have to disagree with your Grandfather (with all due respect I might add) Granted at the time of writing our Constitution, America was (and still is for the majority) a Judeo Christian nation. Still, when people first immigrated to the America's (as the Native Americans are the only true aboriginal occupants of this country) it was in large part for the right to have religious freedom and to be free of persecution for their beliefs. There were of course other reasons.

Many left the old world where they were bullied, even put to death for believing in a Deity or form of, different from the ruling class. I feel it was the founding fathers intention when writing the Constitution to put in it a statement that applied to all men and all religions giving them theright to believe in or not to believe in what theywant.I believe the Constitution protects the rights of all people to believe in anything they like. And while we might not appreciate or agree withthe beliefs of those different from our own, we can at least appreciate the fact that it is their right to worship in a manner they want. Just like it is our right to do the same.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you and all the men and women of the armed services, past and present for the personal commitment and service they provided to this nation. As I told one person that disagreed with the war in Iraq. I told him that was his right to feel that way, but to do dis honor to the memory and the commitment the men and women who served our country made,and are still making to this nation would be a great injustice.

On the Vietnam issue, I think it was a national insult to the men and women that served our country in time of war. Manywere mocked, mistreated, and basically ignored by their own Government and some people. I felt the treatment many vets received was a disgrace. In my family and household the veterans were treated with the greatest respect and consideration all heroes returning from war should have received.