Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Decoy in the Woods >

Decoy in the Woods

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Decoy in the Woods

Old 10-29-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Decoy in the Woods

Would it be best using a decoy in the woods or more in the open?
Does the rut in Kansas usually start the 2nd week in Nov?
Old 10-29-2008, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Decoy in the Woods

If you are bowhunting,you just need to have the decoy so the bucks can see it,and put themselves in position for a shot. If you are hunting Dec 3rd when the rifle season begins,I'd recommend having it out in the open since you just need to have the buck show himself. Up close and personal just wo'nt be necessary. I'll have my buck decoy and a bedded doe out in the edge of a pasture on opening morning. Even though it will be post rut,I almost always see some chasing. I put out a little doe in heat,and do some rattling and calling too. Getting fired up!
Old 10-30-2008, 01:58 AM

Bow hunting 13th thru 18th. Back in Dec if I dont fill my tag. Just read an article about calling- rattlin and gruntin. Through the article they argued the two but never talked about using a decoy when grunting. They said it would spook the buck grunting at him because he is looking for the deer that is making the sound. When they dont see it -bam- he bolts. I never used a decoy but it seems logical to me. After all when using a duck call are there not decoys on the water. It just gets me they never talk about using a decoy. The magazine is American Hunter, Oct issue.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:15 AM

I use my feeding doe decoy in the woods and it works for me. If your wood are fairly open and the buck sees your decoy, he will come to it. Iuse my Doe bleat to get the deer to look in the direction of my decoy ifthe deer does not see it rightaway. Once he sees it and is heading in to the decoy, I don't make any sounds.Make sure you handle your decoy carefully to avoid leaving your scent on it. I also attached a real deer tail to my decoy. Also don't leave it out over nightstanding, I always take it down. If I were you it is worth trying, I was very unsure about using one, but now I'm sold that they are more useful, especially this time of the deer season.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use decoys when I don't have a long walk to my stand. I only put them up in a woods if it's a high traffic area. When doing so Iaim the doe decoyaway from my stand. If using a buck decoy, I aim it towards my stand. I've been burned too many times not sticking to that rule.