Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 hunting islands >

hunting islands

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

hunting islands

Old 09-15-2008, 11:06 PM

Default hunting islands

I have a question for ya. Was wondering if deer will cross a river to get to a crop field from an island that has just natural forage? The river can be from 20-150 yds. wide with depths ranging from knee deep to twenty plus feet. Was lookin to bowhunt it becuase I dont think that it is hunted very hard. Thanks for any info.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting islands

I used to hunt right by a river (only 20 yards wide and MAYBE 3' deep at the time in places), with an island thicket directly acrossed the river. When it was warm out, they'd cross any time of the day...and slowly. When it got cold, they wouldn't touch it. As soon as there was ice over the river, it was a prime spot all over again.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've seen deer swimming a 300-400 yard wide branch of the mississippi river in a good current.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:14 PM

we have seen deer swim the river before but only when they were pressured. Looked like some great spots to hunt on the arieal photos, was just hopeing to be able to key in on the trails crossing the river. Went out there last year during gun season and found some incredible sign and kicked up a giant. It is some thick stuff over there. I noticed that there were some crops across the river from the south side of the island. The tough part is trying to get over to the island and go up stream with out spooking the deer. I noticed alot of the deer were bedding close to the river banks during the gun season last year in some crp fields. I think if I came from up stream I would have to be in the boat at 2 am. to make there in time to set up and hunt. if I came in from the north side it would be a long walk through the thick stuff. any ideas? thanks.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:36 PM

Newton Lake in IL isin the shape of a U and the middle of it is pretty much an island. The only way getting there is right by the power plant which i dont think deer would take because its only about ten yards wide. The island is loaded with deer which I would say theyswim to get there to get away from the pressure
Old 09-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Find out where it is knee deep and put yout stand there. People overlook islands WAY to much. Those deer know not to many people head out there. Ive duck hunted on a 30 acre island in the middle of a river where the shallowest part to get out there was about knee deep. I can't tell you how many big deer tracks and rubs I saw. It was a haven for the deer. If I were you, id get out there early in the afternoon, those deer will bed out on the island and around dark go looking for food. Catch them while they are sneaking out. Good Luck!