Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Mountain Lion Spotted in WI >

Mountain Lion Spotted in WI

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Mountain Lion Spotted in WI

Old 12-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mountain Lion Spotted in WI

That pic has been around for SOOOOO long....and feel bad for the people that got sucked into the new twisted story that accompanies it. lol

These stories every year on hunting sites are getting old...but it's easily understandable why and how people fall for it. The pic on the previous page was the rave a few years back...and this big cat pic goes around with a new story and a new location several times a year.

I can't help but chuckle.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I saw a cat in the wild in the midwest, I'd probably watch it do what I have seen it do in Wyoming when I have been hunting. Watch it run the other way! The chances of these things coming after you are quite slim, most of the time they don't want anything to do with you and will get out of there as fast as a whitetail busting you. They are neat to see, but arerare to see in the Midwest because they want nothing to do with humans!If I saw one in my stand, I'd sit there and enjoy it, with my gun or bow in hand, just in case!
Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 PM
Dominant Buck

There was one mountain lion caught on a trail camera south of Superior in the National Forest. I believe it was over towards Brule. But I would not swear to it. It was in the Duluth paper. Also my brother and I both swear we saw a mountain lion cross the road in front of the truck one afternoon on the way to Hayward. It crossed and we both at the same time turned and yelled, mountain lion. That or the deer had the longest tail and legs I ever saw. Also a logger I talk to swears he saw tracks on a logging site. He said he used to log out west and knows what a cougar track looks like.

As for what I would do if I was confronted by a cat in the woods..
I do go armed in my woods. Normally its a S&W 686 in .357 or a .44 mag Ruger Redhawk. If I came across a mountain lion I would do nothing... I'd ever tell you about. You might hear a gun shot, but that would be me target shooting and nothing more. Remember, shootand keep your mouth shut. Deny everything. Also recover your bullet if you did not get pass through, and drag that thing off somewhere no one likes to go and bury it. Don't tell your wife, mother, brother, best friend or priest. Just a secret for you and the all mighty, and you can ask his forgiveness. That is the easy way.

I'm sure if the DNR could prove you shot one, they'd come up with some law you broke and arrest you for it.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

Ya-I think they saw a Grizzly near Menomonie WI.

I'll have to look for a picture maybe some one has one I can use. Some people believe any thing as long as there is a picture!
Old 12-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: lungbuster12point06

Yes sir! Robin Hood, apparently you don't know much about cat's. These animals can go from zero to thirty in about three seconds. Go for it!

Just a word of caution when carrying pistols during bow season.............It's illegal to posses firearms while bowhunting, so i'd be careful packing heat........Mtn lions aren't as deadly as most people think especially to adults, small kids are a different story, if you have a bow and are a good shot, why be worried????
Old 12-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: wibucks

Sorry, but I just cannot imagine a 260lb ***** jumping on me in the woods.

I've heard so much about how the dnr is worried about the invasive flying carp. How about the invasive cougar??? Imagine a 260lb cat jumping on top of you as you walk to/from your stand.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I think the idea of mountain lion in the State upsets many only because of the real danger they pose to local populations.Now bear I have came face to face with, literally (with in 10 feet). While I did not enjoy the encounter, the beartruly seemedmore scared then me. I do not to this dayunderstand how that could be possible. Believe me when I tell you, my heart did not slow down for a long time. Its the 1% of bear that is not scared that will get you.

With mountain lion the numbers are all wrong from what I have read. While they will avoid you if there is plenty game in the area, they are not uninclined about taking a person. Normally children or small women are targeted. But that's not tosay a man would stand a chance hand to hand with one if it reallywanted you.

I was told by an Aunt that lived in Montana (when I was young).. she could always tell when cougars were around because all the dogs and geese disapper. That's when you have to start watching the children close. Whether she was scaring us as children or really knew what she was talking about, who knows. She was a crazy old gal. But she caught our attention when we were young and visited her.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:15 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jrfrmn
Yes sir! Robin Hood, apparently you don't know much about cat's. These animals can go from zero to thirty in about three seconds. Go for it!

Just a word of caution when carrying pistols during bow season.............It's illegal to posses firearms while bowhunting, so i'd be careful packing heat........Mtn lions aren't as deadly as most people think especially to adults, small kids are a different story, if you have a bow and are a good shot, why be worried????
[/quote]

First off you might want to learn how to use the quote feature, and secondly,I am not afraid of cougars, how many hunter attacks have you heard of that were caused by cougars????????? Thought so.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

There is always a first time!

You might change your mind if one jumped on your back. Also who ever said that it is illegal to carry a hand gun during bow season is wrong! I can carry and shoot squirels, coon, or other legal game. You just cannot shoot deer during the archery season.

There is always people seeing cougers every year which may or may not be true but I will not tremble,cause old smith & wesson will save my a.. if ya know what I mean.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

I've been carrying a .22 while bow hunting in Wisconsin for a couple years. Ever since a pack of coyote were circling me while field dressing and tugging on my dead deer as I was dragging it out in the dark. I got A Sig Mosquito double action semi auto .22lr with a Stream Light TLR II Tactical light and laser. Don't use the laser but in the dark, that little light blows away the best flashlights I've ever seen. Mounts on a Picitany (sp?)rail under the barrel in seconds and can easily light up a target at 100 yards. I highly recommend the Stream Light tactical light for anyone who needs to protect themselves in the dark.