Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 How much for IL hunting lease? >

How much for IL hunting lease?

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

How much for IL hunting lease?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How much for IL hunting lease?

I think if you head to the golden triangle.....im within 3hrs and i dont have a field with a few trees, dont tell me I'm getting a deal, my god, now im going to cry if thats what you get for a deal.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

220 acres for 5600 4hrs from chicago? tell me the county please.....if in the triangle I think thats why, if not I think that's quite a high price. I'm about 3hrs, 180acres, $2500

As far as public goes, thats how I feel, the bucks are there, so are the turkey, but the trespassers/poachers/neighbors are ruining it and the landowner is kinda useless too.

ORIGINAL: mgrt67

Salukipv1,

$2,500 for 100-200 acres will get you a field with a few trees in it 2 to 3 hours from chicago. Good property that close to chicago is at least twice that price. Last year I leased 225 acres 4 hours from chicago for $5,600. Biggest waste of money I have ever spent. I had to payand extra$600 if I wanted to hunt turkey (which was an absolute joke) A hunting lease should be exactly that... HUNTING! Not just deer hunting.Needless to say... Idid about as well as I have done on public land where I hunted for the last 20 years. I thought I would try leasing last year and was VERY disappointed with the experience. Last but not least...The leasing agent wasn’t even a resident of Illinois.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Salukipv1,

Take a look for yourself and please remember this is just one site out there leasing ground. Sounds like you got yourself a pretty good deal, hold on to it.

http://www.basecampleasing.com/hunting-lease.htm?group=2&avOnly1=true

Just some examples...36 acres in Vermilion $1000.....80 acres in Vermilion $2500.....188 acres in Wayne $4500
Old 03-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Spike

Salukipv1,

I belive you are getting a deal for the price you are paying.

The county I was hunting in was Henderson.

The properties on basecamp are not in the "golden triangle" and the prices would be considerably higher if they were. Look at the aerials of the ones on basecamp. Most are not prime ground. I'd bet this is the stuff the outfitters dont want, so the general public gets to pick at the left over's. You'll notice it's almost always property at the end of a large wooded area and not the actual prime deer holding ground in the heart of the good areas. It's a joke that they are making big money off any piece of ground with a deer track on it. I will be glad when the tv shows stop filming and hunting in illinois and the hype is gone. I will be back hunting in Shawnee this year and yes it will be crowded and yes it will be frustrating, but I will have less restrictions then the land I leased and will also save 5 grand.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

that's insane, I can't beleive that. Personally I think going through leasing networks isn't the greatest method.....its like Ebay.....and any auction will tend to go at a premium. But heck if that's truley the case, I'm either stuck where I'm at, or its public land time, or just pay for a 1 week hunt somewhere.....or buy some land, which is the goal, though far from acheiving that one. Tell ya what, 1st year free hunts for everyone!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Spike

I would agree. Going through a leasing agent is going to be the most expensive way. If you can lease directly from the landowner I think your prices would be lower.

My goal also is to buy some land. I'm hoping I can do thiswithin the next 5 years, but the land prices are high and it's going to be hard to afford a decent sized piece.There's 77 acres for sale in Bureau county (which is only a couple of hours from chicago) and they are asking $5500 and acre and most of it is timber! I hope the prices of land in Illinois have topped out. They seem cheaper this year than last, so hopefully the downturn will continue. At those prices though, I will probably have to buy in southern Illinois to be able to afford it. I love it in southern Illinois, but the drive is long.

I hope you get that land some day too.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can still find good hunting land in southern Illinois in the 2000 to 2500 range, perhaps even cheaper if you look around. For that, i would be willing to make the drive instead of paying 5500 an acre.