Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Recommendations on finding who owns nearby land. >

Recommendations on finding who owns nearby land.

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Recommendations on finding who owns nearby land.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:37 PM
N2A

Default Recommendations on finding who owns nearby land.

I'm trying to find someplace close to hunt. I do have access to public land, but it is an hour and 1/2 round trip. I'm very appreciative of this, but would like to try and find something between 30-60 minutes round trip. I'm not in a position to buy at this time. I'm not against leasing. Would like to know who owns what lands so I can go up and ask for permission to hunt. Any thoughts?
Old 11-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recommendations on finding who owns nearby land.

I hunt public land but, I only wish it was 1.5 hours away. Four hours for me......Anyhow to answer your question. In Illinois you can go to the County Courthouse and get a plat book. Plat books show land broken down in township sections and list the landowners and acreage. Good luck
Old 11-05-2007, 04:40 AM
N2A

Can't thank you enough for the information. Based on your 4 hours.I shouldn't be expressing concern over my 1 1/2 hour. Thanks again!
Old 11-05-2007, 05:10 AM

Yup! Plat book.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Another thing you could try is to look at topo maps of your area, you'd be surprised how much public land there is, and a topo will show all of it. Some of the smaller parcels get very little pressure since they usually abut private land. If you choose to hunt such parcels be very sure of where you are, preferably with a GPS to back you up, I've had irate landowners try to run me off "their land" more than once. This site will give you the UTM coordinates or LAT/LONG for a property, just move the cursor over the parcel of interest: Maptech It's entirely possible that there's a honeyhole close by you that you weren't even aware of, I found a 395 acre parcel 6 miles from my house that gets virtually no pressure that way.