Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Anyone ever hunt Indian lands? >

Anyone ever hunt Indian lands?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Anyone ever hunt Indian lands?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default Anyone ever hunt Indian lands?

Was wondering if anyone has ever hunted on the Indian reservations in the Dakotas, Wyoming, or Nebraska?
Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Anyone ever hunt Indian lands?

Just be careful because I had a buddy who went through an outfitter to hunt just opened Indian land in Canada. He shot a monster buck and then the Indian tribal cops decended down on him and arrested him. The outfitter scammed him and didn't have permission to allow anyone on the reservation. He lost the deer and had to go to court a couple of times. Big fine and I think he lost his gun.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:16 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I have in the South Dakota.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: mez

I have in the South Dakota.
Howdy mez, how wasyour hunt? Any problems or misrepresented info?I've met one guywho has hunted onPine Ridgeand hehad a really good hunt. He said thetribal memberswere veryfriendly and helped out anyway they could. Everything else that I've heard is that whites are still not too welcomed by the natives. To the point that it's not safe to be on reservation lands after dark.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:51 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Hello drs. My situation was a little different as I lived in South Dakota and wasn't hunting with an outfitter so there was no info to misrepresent.

The biggest problem most people have is with Indian vs Non Indian lands on the reservation. There is a lot of deeded ground on the reservations that are owned by non Indians. Where most people get into trouble is when hunting on deeded ground they get off of the ground and Tribal Wardens get them for no tag to hunt Indian lands. Some of the borders are sketchy at best and they will prosecute you if caught.

If you are going to hunt on tribal ground then you shouldn't have any problems as they usually occur in the reverse situation. The hunting is usually very good. I've not hunted the Pine Ridge but both the Standing Rock and Cheyenne River grounds.

You shouldn't have any troubles with the people. Most of them are very nice and glad to have you. It is safe to be out after dark. It is like anywhere else. I lived there for over two years and never had a problem with anyone. I wouldn't worry about safety.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I'm checking into it for next year. I hope to visit some of the res when I'm out there in Nov.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a fellow at work who is a tribe member from S.Dakota and he gets over the counter licenses and sells them for $750.00!I was interested until i asked enough questions to find out they will try to string you along for several seasons before they put you on anything that might be considered a wall hanger.[&o]After hearing a few of his stories about him being a guide out there i don't think i'd ever consider going--especially for the price of the tag that they get for darn near nothing.The guy that works for me was saying towards the end of last season the deer would see HIS truck and head for the hills!
Old 07-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted upland game and waterfowl on reservations in South Dakota - which is pretty straight forward. Keep in mind that regulations will vary (in some cases quit a bit) depending amoung the different reservations.

Big game can be trickier, you just have to make sure you know the rules and regs of the reservations that you are planning to hunt. If I was going to book a hunt through an outfitter on a reservation, I would probably call and/or email the ribal headquarters and verify everything was in the right...

BTW - Personally, I don't think I would be doing ANY type of hunting on the Pine Ridge Res. That one is generally considered the roughest in the state.