Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How do you hunt on PUBLIC LANDS? >

How do you hunt on PUBLIC LANDS?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How do you hunt on PUBLIC LANDS?

Old 10-21-2002, 09:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default How do you hunt on PUBLIC LANDS?

I'm semi new to this, so sorry for the newbie questions.

How do you hunt on public lands? I"n in Wisconsin and there are 20 squrae miles of public hunting land nearby. I'm looking to hunt on it for archery only (father has land for gun). What is the etiquette for public lands? Is it first come first serve? Or are there limited numbers of hunters they allow in?

"Out of the woman comes the man, who spends the rest of his life getting back again". Peter Gabriel
Old 10-22-2002, 06:10 AM

Default RE: How do you hunt on PUBLIC LANDS?

Generally speaking, public land is just that open to the public.
If you see a stand already hanging in a tree, sportsmanship dictates you move on and find a location for yourself.(with 20 square miles this shouldn't be tough)
Take some time to look at a map of the area (DOW use maps and Mapquest, Topozone are good places to start for topographical maps)
Look for the largest areas that have NO access roads. Spend as much time scouting and looking around in these areas as they will generally get less hunting pressure as access is limited and the "road" hunters won't be around. I try to get at least 1/2 mile off the nearest road.

A GPS and Topo map work very well together.

Good Luck

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 10-22-2002, 08:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

Greg pretty much covered it, all I will add is get in early and deep and let the late comers and road hunters drive them into you. I remember one guy on here though that said after several years of going in deep and early on public land, he would set up late near the parking area and bust them as the deep and early hunters were coming out!

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-22-2002, 09:27 AM
Spike

I hunt public lands out of choice for three reasons, (1) I already pay the lease fee with my taxes, (2) In my state no hunting accidents on public lands in 11 years (3) I like the old timber found on public lands. (4) No ATVs allowed in the forests I hunt.

The public forest I hunt are several thousand acres in size and the hunting pressure from nearby leases drive the deer into the deeper, thicker woods I hunt. I get in early, even though the shortest trek from my parked truck to my favorite spots is right at 2 miles (up and down hills). The hills make you question if the animal in your sights is worth hauling two miles back up hills. The most people I saw last year in the area I hunt was four, this year only one other guy. Folks don't like walking through thickets, getting mud on their boots, not to mention most of the rubber boots folks like for scent control are not worth diddley to walk in.

The disadvantages are (1) you need to scout several favorite spots, just in case someone beats you to your favorite tree (not in my case, I'm always in the woods by 5a.m. (2) the long walks (3) no ATVs, (4) can't leave ladder stands or hanging stands in forest after hunt...maybe I should list these as advantages?

Heaven is best viewed from a deer stand at sunrise in the forest

Favorite Sticker: Vegetarian is Indian for Lousy Hunter
Old 10-22-2002, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

There is some very good advice above and most has been covered. I hunt public land as well. First come, first serve! I would also say you need to scout the area very well. Check out a couple different spots because the spot you pick, you could have a suprise waiting for you in the morning when you get to your desinated spot. I know, because it has happened a few times to myself. Trying to find a new spot in the dark morning without scouting the area very well is not the way to go. Try to know your surroundings as much as you can because you do not want anyone shooting over your head. Try to find someone that lives near the land you are hunting by and ask them how many hunters they see going and coming from the woods. If no one lives near the land you are hunting, just scout, scout, scout. Get to your spot as early as possible too.

Starrman

Ron Starr
Old 10-22-2002, 10:36 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-22-2002, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

One more very important thing, I do not care if it is required by law or not, wear blaze orange!!!

The Tazman aka Martin Price
Founder and President of
Virginia Disabled Outdoorsmen Club
Old 10-22-2002, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

Taz

even during Archery season?

thanks for the advice guys. Though if you are walking in or out, is it dangerous? I know sounds like a stupid question!

"Out of the woman comes the man, who spends the rest of his life getting back again". Peter Gabriel
Old 10-23-2002, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto on the blaze orange, like TAZ said. Yes I would wear the blaze orange even during archery season. My husband and I took our son out archery deer hunting on public land a few weeks ago and I had a squirrel hunter flinging shot right over my head at a squirrel.There is nothing like the sound of shot hitting leaves right over your head to make you rethink your safety tactics in the woods from other hunters. I was a little upset to say the least!!! I did get down and spoke to the the squirrel hunter and he stated that he didnt see me.The chances are better that if I had been wearing the orange he would of seen me.Just one more thing that makes me avoid hunting public land more and more, but if I do I will be wearing blaze orange from now on, heck a good many of horseback riders in the area are now wearing blaze orange vests.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:04 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]