Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What are some good public lands to hunt in your state?

Old 01-28-2004, 04:31 AM

Default What are some good public lands to hunt in your state?

I am in the process of wrapping up my book project, now I need to know some of your recommendations for good area's to hunt elk, deer, antelope, or bear on public lands. What state and where is the land located? Is it accessible for handicapped hunters? Can you camp there? Is it ATV accessible? How successful were you? Pros and cons of the area? Thank you all for your help, you been very kind.

Dr. Mike
[email protected]
Old 01-28-2004, 05:18 AM

Default RE: What are some good public lands to hunt in your state?

HELLO DR. MIKE, I WENT TO COLORADO 2 YEARS AGO FOR ELK SEASON. IN THE NORTH WEST SIDE THERE IS A LITTLE TOWN OF MEEKER. JUST EAST OF MEEKER IS THE FLAT TOPS. LOTS OF PUBLIC LAND. THERE IS A CAMP GROUND THERE WITH SOME HOOK UPS. THERE WAS ONLY HORSE BACK OR MULE RIDING ALOUD. WE HIKED IN ( I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN) LOL!!!!! BUT YOU CAN RENT HORSES THERE IN CAMP. BUT YOU BETTER GET ONE BEFORE YOU GET THERE, THEY GO FAST. AS FAR AS HANDICAPPED HUNTERS IF THEY COULD RIDE A HORSE IT COULD BE DONE. THERE WAS 3 OF US HUNTING AND ALL HAD COW TAGS. SEEN A NICE 5X5 BULL OPENING DAY NOT TO FAR FROM SLIDE LAKE. NEVER HAD A COW CLOSE ENOUGH TO SHOOT. BUT PLENTY OF BULLS, THAT IS THE WAY IT GOES.[:'(] A BUDDY OF MINE DID GET A COW SO ALL WAS NOT LOST.[8D] PROS ARE LOTS OF LAND THERE AND LOTS OF MULE DEER AND ELK , CONS WELL LETS JUST SAY RENT A HORSE. CRIAG COLORADO IS NORTH OF MEEKER WITH PUBLIC LAND. A BUDDY OF MINE HUNTS THERE EVERY YEAR AND LOVES IT. BUT I HAVE NEVER HUNTED THERE. WELL HOPE THIS HELPS OUT ALITTLE TAKE CARE AND SAFE HUNTING.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:08 AM

Dr. Mike,

Let's see..... we tell you the good public areas to hunt. You put said recommendations in your book. Then you do your level best to make the book sell as many copies as possible. Hopefully (from your viewpoint) tons of people buy and read the book religiously and follow its recommendations including good public lands to hunt. Now this same "herd" starts hunting in the same area we hunt thanks to our foolish recommedations....

Kinda sounds good for you and bad for us.
Personally, no thanks......

EKM
Old 01-29-2004, 11:54 AM

EKM,

I can understand why you don't want to share your area, but what if you know of another area to hunt that's public land? This is how I make a living writing, I wouldn't expect you would want your specific area revealed, I have no issue with that! The GMU that I hunt was in a magazine, I get elk every year from this area. I had to do my homework, make lots of calls, I am thankful that someone shared and steered me on to hunting public lands in Colorado. I don't recall his name or the title of his article, I had the time of my life, I will open doors to whoever wants to hunt big game, where ever in the U.S. So, if someone wants to share area's where they can hunt on public lands, and enjoy it with friends, family, then they will let me know. Thanks for your post.

Dr. Mike
[email protected]
Old 01-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is there any chance your book will be titled "Advise I got from other people"?
Old 01-29-2004, 03:36 PM

Hi Jorgy,

That's a great title, I may use that one, with your permission of course Great idea! Thanks.

Dr. Mike
[email protected]
Old 01-29-2004, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I might not agree with how you do some of your research, but you have a great sense of humor. You welcome in my camp any day
Old 01-29-2004, 08:17 PM

Hi Jorgy,

Listen anytime we tape a show, your more then welcome to join us for a shoot and see what goes on, I agree, sitting around the campfire with you and our gang, would be an honor for me, your good people, take care my friend.

Dr. Mike
[email protected]
Old 01-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I can tell you that Colorado has great public land elk hunting just about every where through out the entire state. Some of it is exceptional.

I think it is pretty much common knowledge if you read anything about hunting elk in Colorado that the White River N.F. has about the best hunting in the state. There are more elk in this particular heard than any other heard in the country and if that person wants to do their homework there are some really good elk to be found there.