Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana one buck rule >

Indiana one buck rule

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana one buck rule

Old 02-02-2007, 05:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Indiana one buck rule

ORIGINAL: monster10rackstack

i was only asking why some people didn't want it in December I'm not saying I'm for it and if the reason they don't move the season is to control numbers then why is Iowa,Ohio, Michigan and others in December and short we could move it in reality
We can already deer hunt in December, and at the rate the herd is growing January hunting isn't so far fetched in the forseeable future.

The reason the gun seasons are wrapped around the main and secondary ruts, as explained to me by a state deer biologist, is simply that this is the time when both the most deer and the most hunters can be put together for maximum effect. If the bow hunters were culling the deer more effectively than the gunners the gun season would be shortened or moved to a later period, do you see that ever happening? Moving the gun season or shortening it solely for some pipe dream of producing booner bucks behind evey tree would seriously impede their ability to manage the herd, and that's something they will never allow. It doesn't matter what Iowa or Illinois do with their herd, they don't manage Indiana's, we do. Our DNR manages for maximum opportunity for all outdoor users, not just hunters. They don't practice trophy management as some other states do, and according to the DNR officials whom I've spoken with at NRC meetings they have no plans to . Go to Indy sometime and attend one of those meetings, you'll get the same chance I did to speak with those same people and learn why things work, then you'll understand why they do things the way they do. It's sort of like your civics class come to life, I think you'd gain a lot from it.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:47 AM
Typical Buck

ok since i was the one that all the sudden wanted a late gun season which i never said i was ask why people didn't it/ why they wanted it to stay I understand those states are different but if a growing herd is our problem why don't we have a early muzzy season or a primitive muzzy season what about an earlier bow season all add opportunity for hunters the youth season is antlerless only if the herd is a problem open it to both. some want earn a buck i don't but it was said earlier that guys only buck hunt and that would get the 2 (possible). it was only a couple of years ago that we were buck only until the last 4 days of gun some things don't add up if you think about your argument if the herd is the problem theres answers if max opportunity is there is answers I'm not saying we need to change but if we are in need we have thing we could do
Old 02-02-2007, 01:53 PM

Early or Early Primitive Muzzy season? That has been brought up on other boards. Bow hunter do not want that. Many of them do not even want squirrel hunters in the woods then. Many of them do not even want crossbows to be legalized for early archery. Because of the television types that promote letting the young ones walk and only shooting the big antlered ones, it is funny 15-20 years ago they were the ones that you did not want to kill because they were the main breed bulls. As for seeing bigger antlered deer must be where I hunt because I have not really seen very much of a change if any in the antlers size, nor do I think that the size of the deer I have seen has been any bigger. And there are some Illinois hunters that feel that Illinois gun seasons are not predicated on deer or antlers they are predicated by that states being an anti fire arms state and wanting to take them away from everyone in that state. If you feel that that is an incorrect just take a good long hard look at their federal congressional representatives and what Chicago wants to do.
Old 02-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Typical Buck

i agree with you on Illinois i have several friends from there and all of the think the governor is mother @#$% alot say the only reason hes in is because of chicago ive started seeing better deer (buck and doe) but a little of that has to do with selective harvest I hunt with my bow most of the timeand a couple late season days with my my hawkins most of the bow hunters i know wouldnt mind a early traditional season thats a weekend long
Old 02-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Fork Horn

Irarely see muchdeer movementin December. If you take nice bucks in late season, that's great.
Like most other hunters, I personally don't have the time or resources to invest in being a full time hunter.

The seasons are fine, and the one buck rule, I'm sure, works in most counties, but in others the conditions aren't right and wouldn't producehuge bucks anyway.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:25 AM

well it looks like they are going to keep the 1 buck rule for at least another 5 years. There are also other changes to the regulations, such as hunters being able to carry their handguns on them while they are in the woods. IF you want to check them out just go to the website, www.wildlife.in.gov
Old 02-23-2007, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish Missouri would go to a 2 buck rule. We can harvest 3 but we also have an antler restriction in many counties.

For those of you who quit hunting after shooting a buck, I say, Whats wrong with you. I love getting the chance to shoot a trophy but when my buck tag is filled I dont slow down by any means. Hunting is too much fun to give up. I'll kill does all season long if i can.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like they haveawesome management in Indiana. I wish they would do that here in MN.