Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
Buck Point Rule >

Buck Point Rule

Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Buck Point Rule

Old 01-07-2003, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Buck Point Rule

Here in Ks we do not have a point rule. What is your opinion on a buck rule(ex. 4 pts or better) in your state? I could see it both ways, but I personally would like a 5 pt. or better rule here in Ks. There are so many does that could be shot instead of an immature buck. I think that if more people let the younger ones go, there sure would be a lot more average guys taken every year. But I can also agree with reasons on the other side of the debate.
Visit My Updated Hunting Page
Old 01-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Buck Point Rule

kshunter, it looks like nobody wants to touch this one. Personally I like the point system because I can take does to fill the freezer and I would rather have a close encounter with 1 big buck than actually kill two 1 1/2 old bucks. Thats just my opinion.

hc4runner
MO. bowhunter
Old 01-19-2003, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

I like point rules but you have to also set exceptions. Around here in central Ohio we can get alot of mature 8 points that could score in the 140's but most of our 1 1/2 year old bucks are 8's or 7's and sometimes we get a 6 or two. If you do it right it might would be a great thing to have.

&quot;A Country Boy Can Survive&quot; </IMG>
Old 01-20-2003, 08:24 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a big fan of trophy deer management.

JRW
Old 01-20-2003, 09:15 AM

I believe that the point restrictions on Deer/Elk harvest are benefical to deer hunting over all as long as there is a target buck doe ratio established in advance.
It isn't just trophy management it is quality deer management and in the end it will benefit all the hunters not just those who can afford to hunt on private lands and fee hunt.
I look at hunting as a total experience not just a kill or harvest. Hunting a Buckoe ratio of say 1:2 or 1:3 allows a hunter to actually hunt using scents, rattling, calls and other means more effectively. Further after that ratio and restriction has been in for a while all hunter will realize that there is a greater chance of seeing and harvesting a nice deer. It will allow hunters to pass on deer they now consider trophies with a realistic belief that a bigger one will come along.

Work hard and be true to yourself.
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...kas/index.html
Old 01-20-2003, 07:41 PM

I believe that point restrictions would benefit the deer population. I know too many people around central Kansas that try to shoot big deer, but when the end of the season comes around most of them end up shooting fork horns. I would just as soon use that tag in the January season and shoot a doe rather than a small young buck. I think the buck to doe ratio is out of hand. We need more bigger bucks and less does. I think KDWP selling the $10 doe tags will help eliminate some of the does. Know we just have to work on bigger and better BUCKS. I did not shoot a buck this year. Had many opportunities to shoot 8 points and smaller, but I let them go. I try to do some micro-management, but the deer can always wonder next door and boom. I have read some very impressive articles from other areas which have implemented the point restrictions, and they are impressive. I believe it will just take some time, if they apply a point restriction, and hunters will see a dramatic improvement. But, most of the people I know just have to shoot a buck, not caring about the size. They will hate it.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:26 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]