Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Wisconsin Gun Season...Big Flop? >

Wisconsin Gun Season...Big Flop?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin Gun Season...Big Flop?

Old 12-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wisconsin Gun Season...Big Flop?

Hunted Washburn county opening weekend. It was agreed by myself and a couple others from my party that it was the LEAST amount of shooting we ever remember hearing. I did take a doe and an 8 pt. Hunted in Iowa county after that and saw one 5 pt. that I let go to my nephew, which he got. Overall pretty quite during gun season. Did see alot during bow season though.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Spike

Huge flop for me in Sawyer County. Some friends I talked to neversaw a deer opening weekend. I counted12 shots that I heard opening day. Hard to believe. Stations claimed the kill was way down, yet opening weekend stats from the DNR say it was very good![:@]

I don't get it! DNR states doe kill was up 18% through opening weekend and that may not be enough to avoid earn a buck next year. The number was inflated because the T-zone , usually in October, was moved to December so hunters shot their doe last weekend instead of waiting. If hunters bag more does in the December doe hunt, what's the DNRworried about? Wait until all the numbers come in before you "threaten" us with earn a buck yet again. Personally, I think it's a done deal. EAB will be back. Never had a chance to get rid of it!
Old 12-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was hard work to fill tags this rifle seasion.Thats fine with me.I dont mind having a few extra deer arround for the bow seasion.The guys that got them id say got them early or late in the day.The other guys that got em put the sneek on em or it was the result of a drive,one way or another.Those deer had there winter clothes on,and didnt feel like moving in this heat.Now its 10-15 degrees and the does will probobly get whacked on the 4 day.About all i can hope for is a flu epademic here if were going to have anything to shoot at next year!
Old 12-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

Where I was in Buffalo and Tremp. Counties things were hot the first weekend, but slow slow slow after that. Opening morining everyone at my camp had deer running all over the place. I saw 3 bucks chasing one doe, along with a fawn. Some of the guys that I hunt with saw upwards of 30 deer opening day. Sunday morning was really great for me though. Saw a 4 pt at 8:30 and shot this monster 12 and 9:30. I saw a deer up on the hillside so I decided grunting with no luck. 15 minutes later I rattled a bit and he came running down the hill and I made a good shot at 15 yards away.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:10 PM

I had a great gun season...Lots of bucks chasing does, finally got a crack at a nice one yesterday with my muzzleloader. I hope the pic works.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Definately a flop in Florence County. Out of 25 hunters in our group, we shot 5 deer. On private land. Some of us did not see a single deer and hunted hard every day.
Brian