Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Wisconsin Gun Season...Big Flop? >

Wisconsin Gun Season...Big Flop?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Wisconsin Gun Season...Big Flop?

Old 11-27-2006, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wisconsin Gun Season...Big Flop?

Well this season was a big flop here in Ashland County. Worst season my dad and my uncle has ever seen and they've been hunting for 40 years. My dads best friend that has a dnr friend says there talking about NO baiting next year so hopefully that will do something good. I bait but this year was the year that it hink it'll be my last time baiting. I believe thats why theres not as many deer. Good luck
Old 11-27-2006, 05:12 PM
Site Buck Guru

I thought it was good. I saw deer both days and shot this one on Sun. morning. Then went bach home to bowhunt Ill.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:58 PM

That was the first time I hunted there in about 6 years. My brother and dad have been hunting up there and they've done quite well over the last few years. I wouldn't call it a flop if I only saw 2 deer and got one of them. Had I only seen 2 and gone none, I would call it a flop. But I guess people have different opinions on what a 'flop' season would be.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:03 PM

We hunt the public land just north of Antigo. I don't bait, don't believe in it. There were several other campers there and pretty much everyone there had a deer hanging by Sunday night. Couple of bigger bucks and a couple of smaller along with some does.

I'm done for the season. One deer is plenty for me. I hunt some private land also in Juneau County, but they've taken quite a few does over bow season that he doesn't want anymore taken on his land this year.

Didn't see alot of deer opening weekend, but got a deer so i'm happy. We'll see what next season has in store.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I can't complain about my season, i shot a 9 pointer and saw 15 deer, but compared to normal, this season was way down on numbers. even during drives we didn't kick up hardly any deer. the weather had a lot to do with it though. here in western wisconsin it was in the 50's. way too warm. hope we get some snow so late season bow season is better!!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:39 PM

I'm goin with a flop on this season. Although this one was far better than my last season, it still sucked. I saw five deer, thats it. Fortunately I was able to take down a nice little 8 pointer, dressed at around 150 lbs, so I am happy for that. But over all - I saw far fewer deer in the back of pick-ups this year. sad.....
Old 11-27-2006, 08:09 PM

I feel that this year was a flop. No snow and too warm of weather. I hunt mostly Clark and Jackson Counties and only saw 8 deer all season. Six does opening day(shot one of them) and then two on the last Saturday morning, one tail and one 2 1/2 yr old buck that I let walk. Most of the people that I have talked to hardly saw a deer. I know that there are plently of them out there by what I saw during bow season and by the tracks but they weren't moving much during the day.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:45 PM

I have to go with flop. Although my husband got a trophy 10 pointer on opening day, (it went in front of me at a full trot through brush and I could only see legs), the rest of the hunt sucked rocks. I heard shooting all over the place the first weekend but after that not much at all. I only saw the legs in the brush and no other deer to be found! At least I got to see that much I guess. 15 lbs of hamburger and several steaks won't last all winter. Hoping for better luck for black powder this weekend and then T-zone if all else fails.

Good luck guys!

Old 11-27-2006, 09:29 PM

I thought opening weekend in Sheboygan Countywas great...I saw 14 bucks Sat and Sun mornings combined, passed a few nice 2 1/2 year olds and got a look at 2 BIG bucks but no shots.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:39 PM

Not a flop for our camp we saw plenty of deer and actually passed on does. We would normally take um for the meat but we each passed at least 4-5 different deer every day we hunted. we hunted a total of 5 days and there were 3 of us.

End of the year count....1 doe in early zone t
2 bucks one opening saturday and one this past sat. second weekend

Pines

Quick Reply: Wisconsin Gun Season...Big Flop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.