Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
A 16-day gun season for Wisconsin? >

A 16-day gun season for Wisconsin?

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

A 16-day gun season for Wisconsin?

Old 01-27-2002, 07:54 AM
TJD
Fork Horn

Default A 16-day gun season for Wisconsin?

In the Milwaukee Journal for 1/27/02, there is a story about the ongoing debate regarding a possible expansion of the deer gun season from 9 days to 16 days. Posted below is a quote from that story, regarding some of the advisory questions that will be asked regarding such a season:
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Gunderson, who is chairman of an Assembly sub-committee looking at Wisconsin's deer herd and deer management, told the board that the 16-day gun deer season was a prominent topic at his committee's two public hearings.

He requested a simple question to get to the heart of the matter.

&quot;We have an opportunity to ask the sportsmen and women of this state what they really think of the 16-day season,&quot; Gunderson said. &quot;In this state, deer hunting is a religion. It is important to a lot of people, and our economy, and we want to be sure to do the right thing.&quot;

At Gunderson's suggestion, the DNR will ask this basic question: &quot;Do you support the concept of a 16-day gun deer season?&quot; Wisconsin Conservation Congress Chairman Steve Oestreicher agreed that a stipulation in the original DNR question, which would require bow hunters to wear blaze orange during the gun and muzzleloader seasons, assured that it would be defeated.

Oestreicher announced that the Conservation Congress Executive Council was adding a related question to the Congress list of spring hearing questions. It will ask: Should the October T Zone deer hunting season be eliminated?

Following up on Oestreicher's comment about blaze orange, Jim Tiefenthaler, board member from Waukesha, added a question on the requirement of blaze orange for bow hunters. The board will ask an advisory question on whether bow hunters should be required to wear blaze orange while walking to and from their tree stand, while the deer gun or muzzleloader season is open, but not have to wear blaze orange while hunting.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>
Just to poll a few of you: does anyone really object to wearing orange while bow hunting during a gun season? Or does anyone really object to having orange on while walking to a stand during a firearms season? Personally, I don't see any problem with that. I'd rather be safe and take a chance on a big bruiser seeing me sooner than having some guy at the top of a coulee send his .54 cal. ball into my melon because I was wearing camo and couldn't be seen.

What does everyone think of the 16-day season and the accompanying issues?

Old 01-27-2002, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A 16-day gun season for Wisconsin?

not one bit...shot a nice doe last year in orange and had the opportunity to shoot a nice buck right after I shot her, both while wearing orange in the tree during the gun season!
Old 01-27-2002, 08:42 AM
TJD
Fork Horn

Sort of my feeling as well. I even know one guy who has arrowed some nice bucks while wearing his blue jeans...no kidding!

I'm not sure I'm crazy about starting the gun season on 11/15. I'd much rather see it start the same time and go a week longer. First, that has less of an impact on bow hunters and second, if week one is too warm, chances are that a second week, if it was early December would be cooler.

Otherwise, I'm starting to like the 16-day idea more. Especially if it can lead to fewer t-zones.
Old 01-27-2002, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

cooler in dec? Naw not the way yall's winters are going LOL! Its supposed to be COLD hehe!
Old 01-27-2002, 04:36 PM

I am not for a 16 day gun deer season. I think 9 days is sufficient. As for the blaze orange for bowhunters, I think you should be required to wear it at all times while on the ground. If you move up into a tree, I think you should be able to take it off then.
Old 01-27-2002, 07:39 PM

It would appear Gunderson is trying to get the snomobilers vote, the gun hunters vote, and the anti T-zone vote. I'm hoping the smart deer hunters won't buy it.

Since 80% of the gun deer are harvested on the first two days of the gun season, a 16 day gun season would be useless.

3 shorter seasons a few weeks apart is far more effective for increaseing the antlerless harvest. The deer have time to settle down inbetween seasons.

Illinois, for example, has a 3 day gun season in November, then a 4 day gun season in December. Each of these seasons covers a weekend. Basically, the average worker would only need 3 vacation days to get in 7 full days of gun hunting.

The object is to get as many hunters into the woods as possible to harvest the required antlerless deer. The best way to accomplish this is several 3-5 day gun seasons, not one big 16 day season. JMHO.

Old 01-27-2002, 09:22 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-28-2002, 06:54 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-28-2002, 02:26 PM

Im agianst a 16 consecutive day gun season. I like the 9 day season and if any additional days are needed they can have a special season at the direction of the DNR after the numbers are in from the early bow, regular gun and muzzleloader season. Let the Muzzleloaders have their days as it is now also.
There are several southern states that only require blaze orange hats when the hunter is on the ground. Once the hunter is more than 12 feet from the ground they can remove the hat. AL is the state that comes to mind. I see no problem with that either way and the state can check with tem as to the number of accidents per hunters in the field.

The snowmobile organizations that have been vocal want ALL deer hunting stopped in December. They want a 16 day gun season starting the 15th of November.
Maybe the hunters should start getting involved in their sport and business?
Old 01-28-2002, 02:44 PM

I don't think there should be a 16-day gun season...i don't think you should have to wear blaze orange while bowhunting, only when gun hunting. I agree with saggitarus, it should remain 9 day since most are shot on the first 2 days.