Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Heading to Kansas and need....... >

Heading to Kansas and need.......

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Heading to Kansas and need.......

Old 11-21-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Heading to Kansas and need.......

I'm Heading to Kansas Sunday evening for the upcoming rifle season starting wednesday Nov 29. I am pumped.I am looking for any advice. Specifically about the state of KSrut this year. I am hunting the very southeast corner of the state near Coffeyville KS. Is the rut running a little late this year?I How is it looking this year in KS is my most important question I suppose? One other question, I am from PA where the hunting is a little different, Do you suggest any scents during the first couple of days of rifle or not? Which scents if you suggest them? Code Blue? Tinks 69??? Thanks in advance. All comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Heading to Kansas and need.......

The rut has been in full swing for at least the last 14 days, I just got back from north Central KS. on Sunday from 10 days of archery hunting. I'd for go the scents, and instead set up over looking a natural narrow pinch point and plan to stay on stand all morning, short break then back out early afternoon. Let the surrounding pressure stir the deer for ya. Depending on hunting pressure in and around your area, deer movement may be happening all day long, no matter the stage of the rut!
Old 11-21-2006, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated. I am hunting 200+ acres of private land, with 3 other people. All of which are family. The hunting pressure around the property is very minimal if any at all. I plan on definitly hunting the first 2 days dawn to dusk just as I always do in PA. Hopefully we'll catch a little of the tail end of the rut(where things can happen any minute,all day long). Im hoping anyway. Thanks again. Anyone elses comments are appreciated.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Spike

Pretty quiet in NE KS last weekend. Saw one buck cruising only and kicked up a buck bedded down with the resident doe over the hill from the folks' house. Bigger bucks have been locked down on does during the day the last two weeks and smaller guys still cruising, but even that has been to a lesser degree.

Saw a 2 1/2 year old on way to town that night an hour after dark crossing the blacktop. He was all stiff legged and haggard looking, just looked like he'd been on a three day vegas bender. I stopped, honked, yelled and he didn't even break stride. He wasn't nose down after a hot doe either. The one little guy i actually saw from the stand hit my scent trail where i'd walked in and locked up.. first time that's happened all year. He was nose down looking for action so that's as good as sign as any.

All my resident does and yearlings on the 220 i'm hunting were nowhere to be found. I moved my 2nd stand (off the bean stubble) around 11:00 sunday morning and i could have sworn i heard something grunting at me. ANyway after the effort and knowing i'd scented up the area pretty bad i took off. I was not all that happy either. THese last two sat/sunday hunts were unproductive to say the least. Didn't even see any of the resident does after last friday, it's like they moved out of state. Then on the way home off the highway between 12:00 and 1:00 I see three different does feeding in cornfields and one really good lucking buck down in a creek bed staring across the other side of the creek. He got my blood boiling... looked like a pretty tall, wide, dark antlered 8. Then after that i just got mad. I'm positive they're coming out to the road to taunt me on the way home. I need to figure out how to stop coming in for lunch and taking hour plus naps.

All farmers in my area spent last weekend chiseling and applicating anahydrous (sp?) on bean stubble. Hadn't seen ANYthing in the bean stubble all season except one possum and a covey of quail for about sixty seconds anyway. I'm heading up Friday afternoon again, but I have a feeling that I'm not going to see anything other than the little guys i've been seeing since late October.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the advice......anyone elses is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in Republic county..... Rut is definately tailing off now. They were chasing big time last week. Seems there are always still a few bucks looking for does at the beginning of the rifle season,but most of them are tucked tightly into cover during the day. If you're lucky enough to have a really good food source,set up between there and the bedding areas. Likely you'll see something worth shooting. I never use any attractant scents during this time of year,although I know some guys that do,and have been quite successful. I try to stay as clean as possible,and don't crowd bedding areas. I rattle some,and mix in some doe bleats and light grunting. When all else fails..... we'll do a little pushing! Headed out monday morning. Wish you boys all the luck in the world!
Old 11-23-2006, 08:57 AM

Good luck to you too. Thanks for the reply. I am one of the few in our group hunting that is hunting deep revines in the woods of the property. The other three hunters are overlooking fields. We all should have decent luck, but only time will tell. Im hoping to catch a buck cruising in those revines on the first day. The lay of the land is roughly 200 acres of fields that are seperated by 20 ft widebrushy fence rows and about 60 acres of wooded area. I am the only one hunting the wooded area out of our group. The woods are made of deep revines with a stream snaking through at the base of the revines. We are setting our stands up Mon morning and staying out of there till opening day. Im going to try and get in there early wednesday morning opening day, hopefully quietly about an hr before daylight. That way I don't push the deer out(hopefully). I hear they are calling for rain mon and tues. That will make it nice and quiet for me to get in wednesday if all goes well. I think I am going in with no attractants on the first day. Ill see whats happening, and then make the call. I always carry my grunt. I plan on staying on stand all day the first 2 days since it's the tail end of the rut. Thanks for the input fellas, and I look forward to more. Good luck to all.
Old 11-24-2006, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm here in El Dorado and the rut is on hot!!!!