Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Hunters >

Indiana Hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 10-19-2006, 12:54 PM

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

Thanks Monie and bigbuck00. I will have to go take a look around this weekend if I get a chance.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Took a walk through the hunting area this afternoon and saw 6 scrapes and at least 50 rubs. Rubs are in the same place every year out there, i found a pine tree almost the size of a telephone pole that had been shredded and the bark was laying all over the ground. Biggest rub i have ever seen at this place. Cant wait now, i also finally put my trail camera up.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

After a week of moving, finally got my cable hooked up. 'bout time....eh...

Last Sunday a buddy and myself went out. I had a ton of deer moving around behind me in the dark..only saw black blobs...couldn't tell if any were bucks. My buddy misfired on a doe, nailed her below her right eye..killed her instantly. Very nasty looking...but the head is technically a kill zone..lol..

IF the weather holds out, I'll be hunting Friday afternoon thru Sunday night. Better see some freakin' deer in front of me...when it's light out.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:41 PM

I'm with ya, Pat! I saw one of those notorious "black blobs" Monday morning. The bummer part was shooting time was 2 minutes past, but I couldn't see my pins, and probably wouldn't have taken the shot anyway seeing as how I would have had a hard time seeing if I actually hit it or where it went if I did.

After that, hubby went and bought me a light for my pins. I didn't tell him it wouldn't have made a difference for me, since it was such a nice gesture.

I won't be hunting until Saturday, hopefully the weather will cooperate. My daughter has a "Donuts with Dad" morning at school, so hubby will be there with her, then I have a court hearing for child support from the ex at 9am in Dekalb County, and hubby has to be at work at 6 tomorrow night... bummer.

Oh well, hopefully I will get 4 hunts out of the weekend and a deer or two.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a light for my Copper John sight. I know they say deer can't see it, but the two times I turned it on before I pulled back...deer spooked. It could have been my movement...but screw that...I don't want to blame myself...would rather blame a product not working. I still use the light for indoor shoots.

Going out this afternoon...kinda cool/breezy...kinda like it.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

What a great night! Although it started out with thousands of possessed black birds hovering in the trees over-head, it all quieted down around 530 or so. I rattled at 545...grunted really hard...then a 4 pointer and a spike come charging in..was really cool. Minutes later, my buddy hunting a ways away rattles..and drives the 4 pointer nuts! These two small bucks were 10 yards behind the tree I was in..it was intense! The 4pt grunted and charged the spike..then they played nice for a while. They eventually parted, and then I got to witness the4ptmake a small scrape andmake a couple rubs. Was really cool to see..

At about 7pm, a small doe came by...I made a "bah!" sound..locked her up...could have shot her with ease..let her walk. As she walked off, she bleeted a few times...that was neat as well.

10pm..should be heading to the bars...but I got killing to do in the morning. [8D]
Old 10-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is so neat! The first time I heard a buck grunt I thought it was a duck in the bushes. I kept thinking, now what on earth is a duck doing in the bushes?! lol....A couple of years ago I got to see a buck chasing two does, while grunting. They were 20 yards in front of me...for about 2.6 seconds. Those does were running top speed and the buck wasn't about to stop chasing them. I can't tell you how many times I've tried to pull a buck off of a doe. I have never been able to do it.

I went out with my buddy last night. He shot twice, and missed twice. Once we got down, we discovered it was farther than we realized. He was shooting for 35, which I also thought it to be. It was more like 45. Still, not hard to do IF you're spot on with the yardage. I really need a range finder, especially with being in a tree and having a gully on one side and a hill that leads to a field on the other. We'll try again tomorrow. Hopefully he can get one and I can get it on film. Hopefully, one of the big bucks that we've seen comes in.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:59 PM

After getting out of Dr. office, back home, descented and out the door, was running a little late, around 4:30.Should have bought a lottery ticket because I was one lucky fellow this evening. Headed into ssw wind to a poplar tree with stand in tow. Was wanting to set a loc on earlier in year but was set back a week for health reasons. (Doc give the go today) Tree sets just 20 yards off a 20 acre crp field. Took my time being as quiet as possible getting to tree. Had the boy figured about 150-200 yards away bedding in a thicket sw of where I was setting up. Been gradually moving closer to his bedding area on 3 different sets, this being the 4th.This by far was the most aggressive I been. I knew something was going to be bedded in the growed up field with the weather being wet and cloudy. The sun popped out this afternoon and I knew deer would bebeded in the field soaking up some rays. Took a chance and got really lucky. Got to tree, summit viper on tree, heading up tree about 12 foot up caught movement in field. Was only half way up. Look like rack, wind was blowing weeds and couldn't make out for sure so just frooze there until I confirmed definite rack. Eased my bow up got release on and nocked arrow. Mind ya this buck is 60-65 yards due south with wind coming from him to me. He was bedded and could just see the top of his head and rack. He's not the one I was wanting but I don't think I could have passed him up. After 15 minutes or so he stands up shakes and starts to head away from me. I was in a hurry and left my horns at the house and didn't have a rattle bag. Just bought a new grunt with the snort wheeze. Hit 3 soft buck grunts he stopped and turned and looked. Thought certain that did it and he was coming back. He went out of sight and guessing he was 80 yards or so. He come back in view and I went for broke and did the snort wheeze. My first time trying. He stopped but didn't look my way. To my total amazement there was another buck and he had turned and was heading for him. These old boys went at it pretty good but could only catch bits of it as it was to thick to see. The second buck I don't think was as big as him but really never got a good look at him. Hurled some buck grunts at them and hit the wheeze one more time but no luck. I could hear the racks and it was off and on for 5-10 minutes.Last few minutes of light seen one of the bucks heading into woods across field. Awesome night. Stand is on tree sprayed with dead down wind before easing out. Be there first light with horns with me for sure. ITS ABOUT READY TO BUST LOOSE TIME TO BUST A MOVE ON THE BIG BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 03:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

This day last year (Sweetest Day...lame) I shot my 8pt after my buddy rattled him to me on accident..lol. It really does seem that the bucks are getting aggressive like bucksnbeagles stated. I too will be out with my rattle bag and grunting away early this morning.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:28 PM

I'm surprised they are responding to rattling this early on.... but it seems like maybe the smaller ones are appeasing their curiousity... being their first year in the "game". Maybe I'll try rattling tomorrow morning. If I can find my rattle bag, I have NO idea where I put it at the end of last season.

I need to remember my grunt call too, I don't know where I put that either, but I suspect it isn't far from the rattle bag. We moved this last spring and I "lost"a few things in the shuffle.

So far, all I've had within range was that small buck two weeks ago 10 yards behind my stand, I woulda smoked him, but couldn't get a shot at him (as posted).

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.