Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Hunters >

Indiana Hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 10-21-2006, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

Today totally sucked. I have a cold, and it hit me hardcore today. It was really windy this morning...saw nothing but a racoon the size of a small black bear. Got tipsy at Applebee's (tradition) went back out, saw a big doe around 3pm. She bedded down 50 yards from me..got up at 7pm...walked into a corn field. That was it. BAH

On a side note, as we were leaving..I spotted a DNR guy standing off the road in the pitch dark of night. We turned around and asked him if he was ok...he replied he saw a truck parked there earlier..was waiting for the hunters to leave. As it turns out, he saw my buddy's truck a ½ mile down the road..and was way off as to where we were hunting. Where he was standing, and the woods it was close to, nobody hunts. He was cool with everything though..said no big deer (nothing close to record breaking bucks) have been checked in as of this morning in Indiana. He did check to see if we were legal...and he went on his way.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well i went out again this evening and hung another stand, i kicked up a deer on the way in but couldnt get a visual of what it was. It was bedding in the area that is just loaded with rubs. The whole time i was putting the stand up i had one snorting at me but couldnt see it anywhere. Checked my camera, only had 4 pics so far, but it's only been 2 days. I was dissapointed to find the land owner not home today and his grain truck sitting in his lane. Not only did he not whack the corn today like i figured on this perfect weather day, but he still hasnt even took down the other bean field across the street. Supposed to rain tomorrow, unless he takes a week vacation again this year it will be early-mid November before he gets the corn out. The neighbor still has a giant corn field up too. Oh well, i plan to hunt for the first time tuesday morning.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:24 PM

This morning I huntedthe poplar that I saw the 2 bucks going at it last night. I don't hunt a set back to back but with the activity last night I had to return. Had my horns with me this time. Rattle bags are easier but I use horns as to me they sound more real.Tickled tines at first light and within a few minutes had a year and half 5 point sneek in from behind me. Wind blowing right at him. Using scent loc and dead down wind spray. He meandered under me and got his rack caught up in some greenbriar at 12 yards head down and quater away. Why can't one of the big boys do something like that. He broke free and kept looking around for the fight. He finally eased out into the crp field and I think bedded down. Around 10:30 a doe and her yearling come thru my set. Killed a 110# doe on the 7th so for now let her walk. Eased out at 11:30 and got some dinner before returning to same tree around 3:00. Wind layed down around 6:30 and did some rattling. Last sequence of rattling about 7:10. Perfect set I thought until I placed my horns on back of stand and clanging the horn to the metal of stand. Set for 4 hours and right at prime time do something so stupid. Reckon I might ota get the bag out. Oh well!!! Back off spot a few days and see what gives. I've been rattling real light as 2 bucks feeling there oats and shoving each other around. Soft buck grunts of a young buck along with the rattle. As this week progress and temp drops I'll try and get a little more aggressive. I'm off work for 2 weeks as the ford plant has temp. layoff so I'll be hunting most everyday if my wife dosn;t kill me first. I will try to keep everyone posted. Havn't seen any fresh scrapes but I know they are opening them up. Just been going in and out. With high winds tommorrow afternoon I might spot check a few sets and report what I see. Hope I can help someone out by sharing whats been going on around my neck of the woods.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:41 AM

I didn't get up and go this morning, stayed up too late watching Detroit get their tooshies handed to them in game one... dumb decisions, they beat themselves last night. At leastLeylandis man enough to admit he made a dumb@** decision pitching to Pujols. Why in the HECK would you pitch him that fastball that he has cranked consistently in the post season? "We thought he would be anxious his first time up to bat." Um... Okay.

Okay, enough about that...

It's getting ready to rain anyway, and is suppose to stay that way all day round here, I don't like bowhunting in rain, don't want to take a chance of losing that blood trail.

Hopefully I will get a couple of hunts in this week, but I suspect the best hunting is going to be Nov.1-11, so I'm holding out hope for that. Would like to hunt tomorrow with the temperature drop and snow showers predicted, but unfortunately, my stepmother's father passed away Friday morning and his funeral is Monday. I wasn't close to him at all, but I guess my family wants me there, so I am trying to line up a babysitter for it. blech.

Good luck to all this week, with each passing day the action is going to pick up at this point. I am soooo ready.

Old 10-22-2006, 03:02 PM

How you feeling today, Pat?

Looks like you will have a couple of days to recouperate, as we have yet again high winds and rain/snow moving through Tuesday. Hope you get better and get out there and smack one!

I was planning on going out in the morning, until I checked the forecast. My hunting buddy is over right now, working on the son's bedroom remodel project with my husbandand he and I both agreed to sit tomorrow out, hopefully we will get Tuesday and Wednesday morning hunts in....
Old 10-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm feeling better now that the Colts won! [8D]

This week is looking evil weather wise. I really want some dry weather so the farmers get the corn off..but that's not going to happen this week. I do have a short week at work..so I'll be heading out if the weather is half decent.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buddy Bill and I went out today. It was nasty with a capital NASTY! I froze my butt off! I told him the deer wouldn't move, but he wanted to go anyway. We got skunked! Well, we did see a Piney, 2 Fox Squirrels and a cat. The Piney picked off the cat. I thought that little so and so would never shut up. I got home an hour ago, ate supper (venison stew), have had 2 cups of tea and I am still cold.

Oh, yeah, going out we did see a doe...pphhhhttttttt. He needs to hurry up and shoot one so I can hunt. lol We're taking turns. I shot my doe the second day, and he got it on film. Now, it's his turn to shoot one while I video him.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:30 PM

High winds this morning. WNW all morning and drew a blank. Hunted a ladder stand set on a ridge saddle between 2 thickets. Was out of stand at 9:30 to check a few areas for scrapes. Found 3 scrapes. Backed out and left alone. Back home got some coffee and regrouped. Decided to make a move on scrapes. Big track got blood a boiling. Pulled a climbing stand from another set and put it up 60 yards or so from scrape line. Backed out as wind was not right for the set. Will hunt tommorow morning if I can make it. Went to other farm to set up for evening. Thought of watching Colts but couldn't resist the urge for big buck. Seen small forky who ended up winding me at a dozen yards. Wind was swirling. Just before dark 2 does come out eating on persimmons. Wind got me again. Hope I didn't screw up the set. Bottom line, scrapes are being made, get on the first scrape line if possible. Persimmons are dropping and they are a magnet. Need to hunt stand in morning but sleeping in sounds good also. Will update tommorow night or tuesday.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

What a difference a day makes. Weather report now (from weatherbug) has it clear most of the week, then thru-sat small chance of showers.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:17 AM
Typical Buck

Not a very good week-end in Madison either. Sat a.m. nothing Sat p.m. 17, 3 bucks 1 shooter at 35 yards until another deer in the field blew at something. Sunday a.m. nothing Sunday p.m. 6 does. I hope she turns around and picks up soon.

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.