Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Hunters >

Indiana Hunters

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Hunters

Old 10-13-2006, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana Hunters

A buddy of mine left me a msg saying he was going out today around noon...I feel sorry for him.lol

The way it looks, I'll be hunting all day Sunday. Winds are really supposed to ease up..so hopefully I'll catch something moving after this front moves on out of here.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:44 AM

Yeah, yeah... winds... story of my bowhunting life.

I got up this morning at 5:45, eventhough once again I had only had 4 hours of sleep.... winds were at, like 11, gusting over 15, so I laid in bed talking to hubby for 1/2 hour trying to decide if we wanted to go or not. With it being a 45 minute drive and us driving a gas guzzling Trailblazer, I hate going up there only to sit for an hour and get down. I knew I needed the sleep, hubby works 3rd, and Friday nights he gets off at 12:30am, so he usually sleeps a few hours, gets up and goes hunting, but he couldn't sleep... so after kicking it around, hubby says, I'll go check the weather, if the winds are 9 or under, we'll go.... nope. So back to bed we went and I just crawled out 15 minutes ago... I think I probably needed to regroup and get some extra sleep anyway, I've really been draggin' lately with not much sleep and that's just not good for the pregnancy.

Hopefully the winds will stay where there at now, 9mph and we will go tonight. I may be going alone though, his beloved Tigers are playing, and since he already has his buck... I don't know, we'll see.

Hope you all had some luck this morning.

Old 10-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was hoping to go to Cass county yesterday evening, but my bow tech had to refinish his floor. [:@]Oh, well. We might go out today. We'll see. If we do, I have a good feeling about it. You guys ever get those? Like opening day and the day after, I had a really good feeling about both days, and the day my buddy shot his doe. ESP....lol
Old 10-16-2006, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

Sat. a.m was so again saw 3 does. Sat evening was prety good. I saw 17, 6 bucks. At one point 11 of them were all in a group right in front of me I could hear them eating my alfalfa. Then right at dark 50 yards on top of the hill was a nice 10 pointer well out past his ear. I had to use my binos to see his rack. Sunday a.m. nothing. Sunday evening 24, 3 bucks. One was a hog of a either 8 or 10. Past his ears and great length just to far out. 44 for the week-end. IF the a.m. would pick up I would be a happy camper.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Saturday night was the most exciting and disappointing day of bowhunting I've had yet. Right before 7pm, I had a nice 8pt buck walking right to me with 2 does. In the background I could hear an ATV but that didn't really seem to bother the deer. They were in some brush and came up to about 25yds.

At this point they were about to step out on the main trail and provide several open shooting oppurtunities. The ATV in the background, which was not on the property I lease but was VERY close, was much closer now and not only could I hear the ATV I could also hear the voices of the people riding. And you know if I could hear it, so could the deer. They were completely focused on the sound. Got a little nervous and retreated the same way they came in.

If they could have came out 60 seconds earlier or the ATV been 60 seconds further away I would have had a chance at my first bow kill being a good buck. Oh well.........

Hopefully, I'll get another chance but my lease ends Oct 23rd and we are not renewing it. I'll be an orphan bowhunter as of Oct 24th.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Fork Horn

I went out on Sunday afternoon to see 13 deer. 8 of the which were bucks. I did see something very very encouraging. A buck chasin a doe!! It's just around the corner and with us bow hunters havin an extra week of season. This is going to bya good year for bow hunters!!!!
Old 10-16-2006, 04:32 PM

What part of Indiana do you guys/gals hunt? I'm in Pulaski County..unfortunately I haven't been up to the woods yet this year due to prior commitments..How are the deer running up north?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

They re moving in the northeast corner
Old 10-16-2006, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Southern Indiana here. Posey and Vanderburgh county
Old 10-16-2006, 06:55 PM

I have only been out6 times now, but I'm starting to see they are steering clear of daylight hours. I got in my stand this morning around 6:50 or so, had one behind my stand not more than 10 yards or so, but as soon as I got in the stand, my buddy shined his flashlight behind my stand because we heard some rustling and the deer busted. It would've busted anyway because my buddy still had to walk to his stand and woulda stirred it up... heard 2 deer within shooting range, one walking into the cornfield, one walking out of it around 7:00. Had one come right out of trail 20yds to my left about 7:20, 2 minutes before shooting light, but with it being cloudy/overcast I couldn't see my pins until about 7:35 anyway. I saw it's silhoutte walking, but couldn't make out whether it was a doe or buck, it headed straight out of the woods and into the cornfield.

Didn't see or hear another one after that.... sat til 9:30, even had my buddy push the woods on his way through, nothing.

Suppose to rain the rest of the week, so I probably won't get back out until the weekend. [:-]

Oh well... still plenty of time.

Quick Reply: Indiana Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.