Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Selling/Shipping a T/C Encore..... >

Selling/Shipping a T/C Encore.....

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Selling/Shipping a T/C Encore.....

Old 01-03-2006, 12:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Selling/Shipping a T/C Encore.....

Does anyone know the legalities behind selling and shipping a T/C Encore ML? When I bought it I had to fill out the federal paperwork and have the firearm registered in my name.

If I sell it to someone else, what do I need to do in Indiana?
Old 01-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Selling/Shipping a T/C Encore.....

Leathal... I sent my cousin an email asking about shipping. He is a bit of a gun nut. Here is part of his reply:

An in line should not be an issue to ship. Cabelas ships out of their catalog. If for some reason you can not ship it direct you will need to have the fella you are buying from take it to a local gun shop and they will need to mail it to a local gun shop in your area. It is really quite painless.

Old 01-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

My only question to that is with this gun being the encore. You won't find an online store selling it over the internet. The reason being, at least what I was told, is because you have to fill out the federal paperwork like with a handgun purchase.

Old 01-04-2006, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

i had to ship a shot gum back to mfg a few years back( bad riffling in slug barrel) i had to ship in 2 containers (shipping tubes) and later found out as long as it is broken down its ok. barrel had to be off the gun and i could have shipped it in one box. my advise ship UPS insured. they lost mine for a week because of the 2 packages didn't arrive at same time.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just recently went through this with a shotgun and UPS told me that it will not deliver it to a residential address, but anything commercial was fine. I ended up just having it sent to my local sport shop.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:52 AM

To do it legally, you will need to ship it to a gun dealer with an FFL near the purchaser. Then he will have to go to that dealer and fill out the proper paperwork for handgun purchase. He will have to register it like a handgun, since the Encore has the capability to be made into a handgun by changing the barrel. The gun shop will probably charge him a small fee for doing the paperwork, the gun shop will have to log it in just like they got it from you, like on a trade, then they have to do the sale paperwork just as if they sold the gun to him. He should talk with the gun dealer beforehand to make sure they will do it, and they can be expecting it to come. As for the shipping, I would think as long as the barrel is off the frame, it would be fine, it will fit in a smaller box too.
Old 01-06-2006, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

You can ship the barrel for any gun through the USPS or UPS it don't matter. It is the frame that you are suppose to ship through a FLL legally. That way the government can keep track of who owns the gun? But the T/C custom shop told me I could ship my contender receiver to them through the mail and it was OK. So I would say you could probably just ship them seperate and it would be OK.
But if you wanted to do it 100% positively legal you would have to ship the frame to a FLL and have it registered with the new buyer!! The barrel could be shipped like a normal package.
Hope this helps. I have bought numerous barrels through the mail and have not had any trouble. If it was me I would just mail them seperate.