Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 Indiana Gun Opener!!! >

Indiana Gun Opener!!!

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

Indiana Gun Opener!!!

Old 11-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Indiana Gun Opener!!!

THICK neck on that boy...and a perfect shot, I might add. Blew out the heart completely! The exit is just behind his left front leg.

I can't wait until Saturday!

Old 11-10-2005, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just got back in from putting up a stand in a new property, the one my uncle used to hunt, he was nice enough to get me permission to go in there without him. Pretty nice place, it has a cut bean field up front, there is a big creek that runs all through the property, the creek is along a wooded tree line which is where i put my stand. The other side of the creek is woods and a ton of thickets/brush and smaller trees. The guy only owns about 40 yards on the other side of the creek, but where his property ends a local County Park begins and they allow no hunting, there are 2 big fields back there that consist of nothing but tall weeds and pine trees. According to my uncle this is where they all come from. I saw one doe hauling balls across the field while i was putting the stand up. Must have came across highway 24, i heard someone honk at it, lucky it didnt get splattered.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a geat spot...I'm expecting pics Saturday night.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Think i will hunt this spot saturday night pat. Little unclear on just who all is allowed to hunt this and with me just now getting permission i dont want to go in there at dark in the morning and PO somebody. According to my uncle, only the farmer of the field and his boy can hunt besides me, and he says they dont hunt very much. Last year though there were guys from New York hunting in there. I dont know if they will be there this year or not. I did see a stand though only about 40 yards directly behind mine across the creek, didnt see it until mine was up. Were going out there in the morning so my uncle can check it out and see if he knows whose it may be. The thing only looked 8 feet high at the most and was facing the neighboring property right on the fence. I think i will hunt opening morning in the woods i always bow hunt in, only im going to sit in a different area out there. I picked up a doe tag this year too, wife is wanting some deer meat. Not sure if i will take one this weekend or not, guess it depends on how everything goes. Opening weekend is a great time to take a nice buck though.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Less then 24 hours we will hear the annual. Bang Bang Bang Bang............. at first light. You think to yourself those type of people shouldnt be in the woods.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:54 AM

I'm still sooo excited!I have butterflies! I swear it's better than Christmas morning...

I shoot a CVA Hunterbolt .45 cal.

You're 7 pt looks a lot like MY 7 pt from last year! LOL I will try to get a pic up. I shot him at about 35 yards pefect shot!

Old 11-11-2005, 10:55 AM

Here's a good pic from in the woods...

Old 11-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

Ill be up in noble or steuben county of this weekend. Its been a hard bow season but watch out the Black diamond is ready to bark. Might take the 500 out for a nice change. Im a tree climber but love to hunt on the ground 2. Just something about being at eye level with a IN whitetail.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

We went out real early this morning to check out the stand i had found yesterday. Thankfully my uncle says its been there for years and isnt used. We had a hard freeze overnight, thats only like the 3rd one we have had so far. We seen a doe while we were there but i didnt see as many deer out in the fields as i figured i would. The weather isnt going to be great this weekend, warm and windy. Same ol story. Middle of next week looks real good though temp wise. At least i can rely on the other hunters moving the deer for me this weekend.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:48 PM

I think that I am going to revert back to what I did years ago and not hunt opening morning. Will hit the farm around 1-2 pm and take the lone wolf climber and go to one of the fingers of wooded area instead of to my ladder in the middle of a section. Figure on a deer trying to slip back in after being spooked out by one of the several hunters that the farmer has let in. Then Sunday start doing the morning, evening thing as the weekend hunters go back to work. Course it will thin out as the season goes as always and the weather turns colder. Maybe the Knight will see something to smoke about.

As for what I shoot. 150 grms pyrodex pellet, 300 horaday xpxtp sabot.
blows thru both sides and destroys everything in between. tracking is usually minimal.

Quick Reply: Indiana Gun Opener!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.