Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > Midwest
 WI food plot blues >

WI food plot blues

Community
Midwest OH, IN, IL, WI, MI, MN, IA, MO, KS, ND, SD, NE Remember the Regional Forums are for Hunting Topics only.

WI food plot blues

Old 09-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default WI food plot blues

I planted Mossy Oak Full Draw 2 1/2 weeks ago and very little has come through. The soil tested well at 7.0 and we fertilized as directed by Mossy Oak. We have only received 1.1 inches of rain in this time.

Is my food plot dead? Should I replant now or hope it comes through? Should I try something different that can root before the frost?

-Mathewsconquest2
Old 09-13-2005, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: WI food plot blues

Not sure where in Wisconsin you are, but I am in the NW, and we have had very little rain. I have not given up on my food plots, because I still think the rain is coming, to green up the plots I planted the last week of August.

Besides, seeing as it is already mid-Sept, you are probably pushing it, if you try planting again now.

Old 09-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its been a tough year, pretty dry out there! Sucks!
Old 09-22-2005, 04:26 PM

It has been a bad year for food plots. I think you would be pushing it if you tried planting again. I would hold out and hope for the best. I could turn out better than you think, pending some rain. We've gotten quite a bit here the last fews days so hopefully you have.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:31 AM

I planted Biologic on Aug. 8. No rain until Aug 16. Thought I lost the plot but then the rape began to grow. Had a little more rain and now the clover is doing well also. Rape is growing like nuts. The rape will be excellent forage after the first hard frost. Now is not a good time to plant, much too late.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

Just getting into the food plots myself and also live in WI (SW). Is the first week of Aug. a good general time frame to plant for the fall?
Old 10-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Fork Horn

I planted Winter wheat, Oats, and white clovers on labor day, SE Wisconsin, they all came up ... wheat and oats almost too good and grew 15-18". Next year I will wait til two weeks after Labor day.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:12 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah, I think you are a liitle late at pplanting your food plots. That should have been done in Aug.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:18 AM

It's the end of October, Mathew, how did your food plot turn out? I planted mine on Aug 8 and it turned out great. The trouble is, deer hit it pretty hard and it's practically gone. I put a couple of woven wire cages in the plot and you can really see the difference. That's the reason why you don't want to plant in the spring, between the deer eating it up and then the heat of summer possibly wiping it out.