Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

points system?

Old 02-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: points system?

ORIGINAL: Mark S
Are you keeping track of points Slim?
I like it too Slim. Looks very workable.

As far as keeping track, I think folks who are interested should keep track of their own and turn 'em in at the end of the year...

How's that sound?
Old 02-20-2009, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

kendall that would be nice but i will track it. not sure how would be best to keep track of it? tourneys will be pretty straight forward. shooter of the ya a little more difficult. things we gota get worked out. christine, i was proposing the shooter of the year as a individual system. not sure how to do it any other way for non tourney shooters. a non tourney shooter can still win it with citation fish/record fish. we all know that about half of the state records are still easily breakable. what are everybodys thoughts and ways to improve it? what about changing point values? they were just what i thought sounded good.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

I can't think of any ways to improve on your ideas right now Slim. I would suggest some sort of system to earn and keep track of points. Such as a participating shooter or team must formally present to you their points earned on a per tournament basis or per record fish shot. And by formal I mean some sort of basic form you've had printed off and handed out to eligible participants. That way there is a paper trail to prove points. Not that any of us don't trust you, but it's just nice to back things up if there's a really close finish and arguments arise. And it would make life easier for you so you aren't tracking down results after tournaments. Of course keeping you busier at tournaments might give some us an advantage!
Old 02-22-2009, 03:19 AM
Fork Horn

i have a simple form from the drba guys that they are using. will be easy to do and work with at tourneys. as for individual? maybee ya gota just say hey keep track of my points? maybee it will be easiest for the individual to do it. there will be proof that they arent just making stuff up. then at the end of the year if ya want to turn em in ya can? not real cut and dry for that system
Old 02-22-2009, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

The form for the teams sounds good. That will probably be the most competive division. I trust everyone in the club for individual points tallies, cept for Christine of course.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

He's a verybrave soul Steve. Ken, Kendall and I are going out with shotguns this weekend.[8D]

Shooting silvers in the air again at the Peoria Lock and Dam?I didn't know that the DNR opened aerial bowfishing to shotguns.

Bowfisher

Old 02-22-2009, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

Team Points

Taking Newbies out on a tournament......100 points

I am all for doing some point system, anything to increace theattendence. Imake most of all the the club tournaments but I don't think that I have ever had the same team twice. I try to take someone new outevery tournament, with the hope that they will joinor in some way benefit our club. Right now I amlooking at taking aDNR fishing biologistand an outdoor sports writer as my guests (Team Members) for the Billy Davis Memorial Tournament.

What makes up a team...how many members to a team?

Maybe it would be better to have a Boat Of the Year award. Points given to the boat for tournament won, biggest fish shot out of that boat, point for making every tournament, etc.

What tournaments or fun shoots?The club only puts on 3 tournaments now. The rest are fun shoots and the tournament put on by the Shelby boys and is not an Illinois Bowfishers tournament but listed on our site.

Now, IMHO, let me state again that I am for a point system for Team and individual Bowfisher of the year. I think the Team of the year should be on a different point system forIllinois Bowfishers Tournaments (Rend, Shelbyville and Carlyle) and everything else is just a fun shoot. Points should be given also for working IB events as the Fishing Fun Fair, contributing articles or pics for the Straight Shooter, seminars, shooting in the IB9C (awarding points for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd) to be added towards the Bowfisher of the year. I'm sure that I'm forgetting other things that can be added to the list to make points. Remeber that a lot of our members like to shoot fish and don't even have boats or have a boat that does not have lights on it.

Just trying to make it fair for all. Now lets getworkable point system and get started.

Bowfisher

Old 02-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

When Slim and I were talking about which shoots to count, we were thinking we could count Jarad's shoot and the Shelby shoot as our points shoots, the Wonder Lake shoot tooif they have one this year. That way we have point shoots all over the state.A teamwouldbe able to turn inresults from a maximum of3 of the eligible shoots.

We also discussed having a 'variable' third person for the 3-person team. Two people teams would pretty much need to be the same two people. I guess we could have a 'tournament boat' or 'tournament captain' of the year award too... but it that starts to make it pretty confusing. Simple is better.

The bowfisher of the year would need to be heavier on citation fish/record fishand/or volunteer work than tournaments in my opinion. It would be kind of tough to really make it 'fair'. We just need to find a format that we can mostly agree to.

Mark, would the president even get to compete for the individual award? Probably not. [&o]
Old 02-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

i agree with christine. team of the year should be a 2 man team with a floating 3rd shooter or make itboat of the year? either works for me. that will make it easier for everybody cuz some liek to shoot with a variety of shooters. i still think that it should be based on 3 shoots for the year regardless of what ones. maybee extra points for the state shot? (no i probaly wont be there)
as for shooter of the year should it be based on working events or his fishing/shooting abaility? maybee we need to have a plaque for most volunteer time? that would start a big squable there....
I am all for raising the citation fish and record fish up in point value?? how high do we want them? i agree that shooter of the year shouldnt be un acheviable for non tourney shooters but i hate to take away from a guy that attends shoots but dosent win. it can be some easy points for him and reasons for people who are undecided to go ahead and go especialy to the fun shoots.
I am not sure how is best for tuning in individual points? I think after a lot of thinking and discusion with others that individuals should turn them in within a month of receving the points to be credited? no it wont be super strict but keeps a person from turning in 500 points in december saying all that they done and making it harder to go back and make sure it is all ligit?
maybee just a sticky thread at the top with what you have done and when you turn in a citation/record fish you also e mail me. Or johnny b?(i think he is in charge of citationfish?)e mails me the info if it is mailed in?
the tourney info will be easy. and i will try to have it posted within a week of the tourney and any discrepcencies can be sorted out quickly. this will depend on somebody gettin me the tourney info for shoots i dont attend. i think all of this should be the secretarys job? i hate to push more off on christine.
keep the thoughts coming. i hope we can vote on this saturday of the deer classic so we can start keeping track by mid march
Old 02-24-2009, 11:32 AM
Typical Buck

I think everyone should be able to compete I say all of your shows should count christen you are promoting the sport and working hard. I think the points should be kept simple with few rules to avoid confusion and alot of trouble. You could make up spread sheet and use that to track the scores it would be alot easier.