Community
Illinois Bowfishers Club C'mon on in!

breaking the ice

Old 01-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Default breaking the ice

Literally.

Deb K, Kendall and I went out to Clinton Lake last night. Two weeks ago when we bowfished out there, the carp were everywhere. We'd see six or seven at a time. When you shot at the ones near the boat, you could see more up ahead just waiting for thier turn in the barrel.

Last night... we shot four.

We saw 8 gagillion shad, one sucker and about a dozen carp. [:-]

The wind was pretty strong and at one point we got into a cove to try and escape the rough water. The cove was kind of foggy but the water looked smooth as glass. We trolled in and crrruuuunnch...

Ah, it looks smooth because it's ice. heh heh heh.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: breaking the ice

It was awesome! You could see through the ice perfectly. When the shaft of the troller started cutting through the ice, even though I knew in my head what was happening, I couldn't believe it.

It was a bunch of fun. It would have been a whole bunch of fun if we'd have seen some fish. [:-]
Before we went fishing, we went to Blue Ridge Backwoods for some Techno-hunting. Christine used her Bowtech. I used my bowfishing bow. And for a while, I was ahead. I can't put it in my signature that I beat her at techno-hunt, yet...not yet.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I posted this over in Southern Illinois Outdoors.

Even though the temps were rising there was ice left on the trees.

First we were greeted by millions of shad.

Debra used one of my recurves. Although she's an awesome shot with her own bow she didn't get enough shots to get the hang of the recurve, but she was very very close many times.

We went to one cove to get out of the wind. The water looked smooth as glass. It actually was smooth as ice!

Yes we did get some carp.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: carpsniper

We went to one cove to get out of the wind. The water looked smooth as glass. It actually was smooth as ice!
Everything that looks like water in this picture is ice. The light line that looks like water is the edge of a sheet of ice.

Oh and Christine wanted me to add this picture also.

There is a boat on the back too.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

I wonder if the shad we're beingchased by something; it would have been interesting tossing a Shad Rap in that school. Nice fish.

Debra lookslike she means business.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I think shad are always being chased by something. But it seems like whenever we see a big school at night, they tend to follow the boat. I don't know what it is, lights, motor/prop vibration, cover provded by the boat or something else.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

That was a definite first for me .... Bowfishing with Ice, Cold Weather Clothing , Gloves and thank God for those lovely Hand Warmers.

Hey I did wing a ShadThanks Kendall and Christine for taking me it was still a Blast!!

You know I have been to Clinton with you guys to bowfish twice now andthe firsttime Dave that went on the boat with us got pulled over by the cops.... Well,This time I got pulled over on the way home in Farmer City... luckly though I didnt get a Ticket

I got to play with my new camera in the dark outdoors for the 1st time and I am still working out the kinks on it but I got this pic of Christine shooting Techno Hunt.

Old 01-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you didn't get a ticket. Were you speeding or he'd get you for the headlight?

That reminds me, I suppose I should get that sticker for my plates. [:-][:-]

I'm glad you had fun. It was amazing how few carp we saw. It was a totally different lake than two weeks ago.

Hey my form isn't too terrible, 'cept for that deathgrip on the bow and and few other things. I love the technohunt. We'll be back down again soon.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

the ice on the trees looks awesome. i want to bowfish really bad but everything around here is up because of all the rain. but i will get some this spring and summer. good job.