Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Breaking it in

Old 10-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default Breaking it in

I need some advise. I recently purchased a CVA Kodiak. A gentleman at the local sporting good store told me to purchase some round balls with which to shoot to help break the gun in. The CVA manual doesn't address "breaking the gun in". I understand the reasoning behind going through this process but is it necessary? I've purchased some 295 gr Power Belts and 250gr TC Shockwaves to try. If I shoot the Powerbelts first, would this accomplish the same task, obviously a bit more costly, that the round balls would? I'm heading out to the range this week to sight it in before the season here in WI. Thanks to all.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Breaking it in

Some rifles need to be broken in and some don't. It will not hurt to try the rifle out this weekend with the Powerbelts and see how it shoots. 100 grains should shoot real good with it. If the rifle seems not to shoot well, there are a couple things to do or try.

Take some cotton balls and push them through the barrel of the rifle. Then hold the barrel up looking through it and see how many fibers the barrel has caught and held. If the barrel looks fuzzy, it might well need breaking in. You can do this with some J-B Bore Paste, shoot some conicals through it, shoot some roundball through it, or just shoot it smooth with other projectiles. The Bore Paste is an easy way to smooth them out and make the barrel nice and clean.

All too often, people want to run off and lapp or fire lapp their new barrels. Some of the older barrels did need to be shot smooth YEARS AGO. I do not think that is the case as much any more. Go out and shoot the rifle with the powerbelts and have some fun. It will probably shoot just fine.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

Alot of people say that this is not needed...

The powerbelts will work better than the round balls.. since the round balls use a patch. Youcan also accomplish the same task w/ some JB BorePaste.. or valve lapping compound.

I personally shot 10 or so lead Hornady 250gr lead conicals... And my Omega shoots awesome as far as I'm concerned. It may have shot as well w/o the "break in"... butI don't know for sure.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Big Ol Gobbler

I need some advise. I recently purchased a CVA Kodiak. A gentleman at the local sporting good store told me to purchase some round balls with which to shoot to help break the gun in. The CVA manual doesn't address "breaking the gun in". I understand the reasoning behind going through this process but is it necessary? I've purchased some 295 gr Power Belts and 250gr TC Shockwaves to try. If I shoot the Powerbelts first, would this accomplish the same task, obviously a bit more costly, that the round balls would? I'm heading out to the range this week to sight it in before the season here in WI. Thanks to all.
PM sent your way!
Old 10-28-2006, 06:33 AM

With a CVA you will probably need to do something. I always shoot a package of conicals through a new muzzleloader with Powerbelts being my preference. At the very least it helps me to get familiar with a rifle before starting load workups.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

A barrel that hasbeen polished shoots better and cleans easier,very few come with a good polish.
My advice after having built all kinds of rifles for many years is donot use grinding compound unless absolutely necessary; but a bit of jeweler's rouge on lead bullets or rubbed into the patch of a round ball to finish polish is the way I do it. Lee
Old 10-28-2006, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks to all.