Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 breaking in a gun? >

breaking in a gun?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

breaking in a gun?

Old 12-21-2005, 11:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default breaking in a gun?

i hear this fraze ALOT. well for christmas. im getting a 308 savage model 10 (no i didnt peek. santa told me..lol). any ways i dont want to mess up my new gun. what is the best way to brake it in, or what all does this consist of. thanks. Jeff Smith
Old 12-22-2005, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: breaking in a gun?

This subject has come up a number of different times but if you’re getting a Savage you can follow there instructions as per link if so desired.. www.savagearms.com/cs_barrel.htm ...
Old 12-22-2005, 07:03 AM

There are a couple of features on each rifle that need broken in. The Barrel, the action, the trigger, and the mating between the action and the stock.

My barrel break in is different from Savages, since I like to shoot my barrels black. I do the first section of Savage's description until the bullets no longer leave copper fouling. Basically, your polishing the tooling marks and imperfections out of the barrel with the jacket of the bullet. One important note...before you start the barrel must be completely clean and degreased.

To break in an action, I like to degrease it and the bolt. Then during the barrel break in, the action polishes itself. Once I am done with the barrel break in, the action is usually very smooth. So, I clean off the bolt and the action, then reapply a lubricant. Eezox being my favorite gun oil.

Action to stock mating is something I usually like to have glass bedded. Since I am a complete buffoon with wood, I have a gunsmith do this. Once he is done with the job, it usually takes a few shots to settle the action into the stock. During this phase, I generally make sure the barrel is free floated.

Trigger work can be tricky. This should be left to a gunsmith. I prefer my triggers to be 2 pounds, no creep, and no over travel.
Old 12-22-2005, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the 30 shot method:

1. Clean,shoot 1 shot, clean x 5
2. Shoot 5 shots,clean x 5
3. Barrel is broke in!
That works for me...
Old 12-22-2005, 10:22 AM
cck

I personally highly not recommend the method from Savage's. Because I won't use the brush to break in my brand new barrel and run back and forth for 5 times (Sounds nonsense). I think it will leave a bunch of scatches in the barrel.

From the Browning's web page they recommend more mild and in theory more logical way to break in a new barrel. the web site is...

www.browning.com/faq/detail.asp?ID=112

I also have found a very good web site teaching shooters to break in a new barrel with clear explainations. This web page has been added to my favarite and it matches to what Browning's recommendation.

www.shootingsoftware.com/fouling.htm

Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 AM
Dominant Buck

cck, good advice partner!
Old 12-22-2005, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

Pa jack Im with you. when i got my new barrel from shilen thats what they recommended
Old 12-22-2005, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

also use a brass brush
Old 12-22-2005, 07:55 PM

I just shoot mine. When accuracy falls off I clean it.

Paul
Old 12-27-2005, 02:57 AM
Typical Buck

thanks aot you guys. cckdo you use a brush at all when you break in your gun with the way you do it?and also how often do i have to have to re break in a gun. or do you have to ever do it again?and for the people shooting savages with the ss barrel how many time can you normally shot before u start sacurfcing accuracy after breakin in the barrel. i am wanting to shoot at praire dogs with it this spring. am i going to have to clean it after ever 10 shots or so?

Quick Reply: breaking in a gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.