Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 BREAKING IN A NEW GUN >

BREAKING IN A NEW GUN

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BREAKING IN A NEW GUN

Old 06-29-2007, 04:34 PM

Default BREAKING IN A NEW GUN

HOW DO YOU BREAK A NEW INLINE IN FOR THE BEST SHOOTING.I WAS READING IN A MAGAZINE,IT SAID YOU SHOULD SHOOT IT OVER 150 TIMES.IS THAT TRUE.AND WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT WHEN THEY MENTION A SEASONED BARREL.MY GUN IS SHOOTING GOOD.IMSHOOTING A HALF INCH GROUP AT 100 YARDS FREE HAND.SINCE YOU ALL TOLD ME ABOUT TRIPLE 7. THANK YOU
Old 06-29-2007, 04:39 PM

Default RE: BREAKING IN A NEW GUN

If its smooth and u dont feel any snags, leave it alone! I never touched the barrel on my winchester. Just shoot and enjoy.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bear6

HOW DO YOU BREAK A NEW INLINE IN FOR THE BEST SHOOTING.I WAS READING IN A MAGAZINE,IT SAID YOU SHOULD SHOOT IT OVER 150 TIMES.IS THAT TRUE.AND WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT WHEN THEY MENTION A SEASONED BARREL.MY GUN IS SHOOTING GOOD.IMSHOOTING A HALF INCH GROUP AT 100 YARDS FREE HAND.SINCE YOU ALL TOLD ME ABOUT TRIPLE 7. THANK YOU
If your shooting 1/2 group at 100 yards, please, please do nothing different than what your doing. Seasoning the barrel is a term used by
folks that use bore butter. Most folks clean their rifles with either hot soapy water or windex/rubbing alcohol mix. Most lube their gun after cleaning with bore butter or gun oil. I use bore butter in the field to clean after shooting, when at the range I use alcohol/windex or alcohol/windshield fluid to clean the bore and then shoot again. If your shooting 1/2 groups at 100 yards, your "dialed in" with the proper powder, load, bullet, sabot and primer. What gun are you shooting and what is the bullet,load of 777, sabot and primer? If you can shoot a 5 shot 1/2 group, then your cleaning/loading procedures and shooting are excellent, and if it is "off hand", I am amazed, 'cause that is shooting at it's finest.

As for a new gun being broken in, some use JB bore paste to lap the barrel 150 to 200 strokes. If you gun is shooting that accurate right now, I wouldn't change a thing. Must gun "wear in" after 150 shots or so or people lap the barrel to clean the machine burrs out of the rifle this enhances accuracy. I would say you already have an accurate rifle.

Chap Gleason
Old 06-29-2007, 05:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Years ago, people never even got concerned about the rifle's accuracy until they had shot at least 100 rounds through it. Then they started to try and tune a load.

We used to scrub the bores with comet cleanser, valve grinding compound, some fire lapped them, now we J-B Bore paste them with a scotch brite and some paste. All of this is for one reason, to smooth out any ruff spots in the bore. If your rifle is shooting as good as you say, you have no ruff spots and no need to worry about break in.

Seasoning as said, is the process of treating the bore. Remember the cast iron fry pans your Grandmother had? If you wanted to make her scream, you washed it in dish soap, and let her catch you doing it. She might have boiled a little water in it, but other then that, she wiped them out and called them clean. That was seasoning. Seasoning with borebutterjust works in to the pores of the metal a wax/natural lube substance. The build up is supposed to keep them rust free, and make loading easier. In your case, I would not season the rifle. It could effect that excellent accuracy you have going. I just clean my muzzleloaders like a modern rifle, then oil down the bore.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:18 PM

That's some goddam good shooting I wouldn't change a thing. I have to use sandbags and a scoped centerfire to get that kind of accuracy, you may consider going into the olympics, LOL.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:43 PM

ORIGINAL: rem 700

...you may consider going into the olympics, LOL.
I was thinking either that or the Marines. Either one.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:03 PM

I WAS IN THE USMC,IM FROM A MILITARY FAMILY.MY DAD WAS A SNIPER IN THE USMC.HE DID 1 TOUR IN NOME.HE TAUGHT ME ALOT ABOUT SHOOTING.I NOW GUNS.BUT BLACK POWDER IN NEW FOR ME.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:28 PM

I HAVE A CVA ECLIPSE MAGNUM.IM USING A WINCHESTER 50 CAL 260PTH SABOT.AND 90 GRAINS OF TRIPLE 7.I HOPE ITS A GOOD LOAD FOR DEER.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

It would appear that you arethe expert shooter, perhaps you should be anwering all of out questions instead !!!

1/2" groups at 100 yds..... awesome!!! [:-]Most folks, as in the vast majority, can't shoot sub-MOA groups with the finest cutom bench centerfires! I've gotta see some shot groups!
Old 06-30-2007, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bear6

I HAVE A CVA ECLIPSE MAGNUM.IM USING A WINCHESTER 50 CAL 260PTH SABOT.AND 90 GRAINS OF TRIPLE 7.I HOPE ITS A GOOD LOAD FOR DEER.
That is an excellent deer load. I am not famliar with a 260 PTH by Winchester, but whatever it is if your shooting 1/2" groups at 100 yards you will not have any trouble putting that bullet into the boiler room. I just got a Savage 10ML and shot this group at 92.5 yards:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/TC_Shockwave_300g_2007_06_02_AA5744_44g_FederalPri mer_default%20sabot.jpg

but that is the best group I have ever shot in my life and it was from a bench (tail gate fo my truck with sand bags sitting down), I know I could never do that off hand. Some would like to see pictures, as would I, the off hand is what we find hard to believe.

Chap Gleason

Quick Reply: BREAKING IN A NEW GUN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.