Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Classifieds > Hunts/Outfitters
 Starting up an Oklahoman Outfitting Business??? >

Starting up an Oklahoman Outfitting Business???

Community
Hunts/Outfitters Find your next hunt or outfitter here. Outfitters and Commercial hunts are welcome.

Starting up an Oklahoman Outfitting Business???

Old 07-29-2006, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default Starting up an Oklahoman Outfitting Business???

I have farm land in Southwest Oklahoma (over 5000 acres) and was wondering what all I would need to do to start up an outfitting company.

Southwest Oklahoma isn't known for it's big deer (although the state record was taken about 50 miles southwest of me) we do have plenty of other hunting that I could offer. I was thinking about guided quail, duck, geese, hog, turkey, predator, and maybe someday deer when I feel the population could handle it.We have a house on one of our farms that has an apartment in the basement (really nice), and my mom has agreed to cook all the meals for the hunters if I get this going.

Any advice anyone might be able to give would be very much welcomed.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:33 PM

Default RE: Starting up an Oklahoman Outfitting Business???

Ryan, This might help spark a little interest. Here are a couple SW Oklahoma deer. Do you manage your place for trophy bucks? If you are serious about it and don't mind letting the deer grow, shooting doe, and managing your heard, you can do well. But it means changing from what most SW Oklahoma hunters or landowners are use too. No "brown its down" and allot of work with food plots, patrolling your place for poachers and road hunters. We had the place these bucks were taken on lastyear for five years before we started seeing this caliber buck. OKC is not
SW oklahoma, where are you located? I know a couple folks down here outfitting now. They are pretty much sold out every year.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Typical Buck

I live in OKC and our family farms are located South of Lawton, spanning from Geronimo to Chatty.The problem we might have is that not all of our land is next to each other. The most land we have all together are sections, and I can't control the deer from traveling to the next section. Also poachers are huge around our area. Just last fall I found a dead deer carcas that simply had his head cut off. At first sight I thought it was one of our calfs, then upon a closer look I saw it was a deer. I immedately called the ranger but there isn't much he can do at that point. Back to managing the deer, what ratio do you like to try and keep the deer to?

Those are some really nice bucks you have harvested. Where are you located?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:09 PM

hey Ryan ,i live around the area you are talking about .if you need any help with hunters wanting a hog and dog hunt then just give me a call .we hunt a lot of land around the chatty to geronimo area.could work somethin out
Old 07-31-2006, 07:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-31-2006, 09:57 AM

Ryan,
I sent you an e-mail.

Old 08-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Fork Horn

Ryan,
Most of being an outfitter is customer service, some of it is show business but most of all it is a business. Love to help in anyway I can.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:42 PM

WOW!! Its unbelievable the help you are getting!!! I shud do the same thing and maybe keep my property!!!
Good luck in your venture and i a=m sure you will do well with all the help you are being offered !!!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

The response has really been amazing, everyone offering advice, support, and good wishes is really helping me with this decision. Thanks again everyone and I look forward to posting information about my outfitting company someday.