Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Starting up an Oklahoma Outfitter Business????

Old 07-29-2006, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

Default Starting up an Oklahoma Outfitter Business????

I have farm land in Southwest Oklahoma (over 5000 acres) and was wondering what all I would need to do to start up an outfitting company.

Southwest Oklahoma isn't known for it's big deer (although the state record was taken about 50 miles southwest of me) we do have plenty of other hunting that I could offer. I was thinking about guided quail, duck, geese, hog, turkey, predator, and maybe someday deer when I feel the population could handle it.We have a house on one of our farms that has an apartment in the basement (really nice), and my mom has agreed to cook all the meals for the hunters if I get this going.

Any advice anyone might be able to give would be very much welcomed.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Starting up an Oklahoma Outfitter Business????

Insurance, good service and advertising would be a start. Not getting the priceshigh till you establish a business. I guess with the birds good dogs are a must. Good luck....
Old 07-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

Insurance, good service and advertising would be a start. Not getting the priceshigh till you establish a business. I guess with the birds good dogs are a must. Good luck....
All I would add is to have your "show" together before you start taking customers. No one wants to pay you money andbe your "guinea pig". Good luck!
Old 07-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

I was that guinea pig once and it was not a good deal!

I sell outfitter insurance it is going to run you about $1,000 to get started. I'd also check with your DNR to see what type of outfitter licenses you need to obtain (Most states require you to buy an outfitter license). You might want to talk to other outfitters and see if there is any other necessary paperwork you might need and get a feel for how they started out in the business.

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

All I would add is to have your "show" together before you start taking customers. No one wants to pay you money andbe your "guinea pig". Good luck!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been thinking on your question today and would like to put more enphasis on the need for, not just good dogs, but superior dogs. Be it bird dog or duck dog,a dog can make or break a hunt. I have hunted the last 30 years behind my uncles mediocre pointers. They would point, but that is about it. To me, watching a truly great dog work is almost as fun as actually shooting the birds. So, that being said, if you intend to do predominantly bird/duck guiding, you need to have the best dogs money can buy.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:03 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-31-2006, 09:00 AM

I agree with all advice above 100%. Especially the food and lodging. Not to brag at all but this is a fact. I have had hunters come back here just for "the food and lodging". It is a great sell point to consider. Another good sell point? If you provide food and lodging....a hunter likes nothing better than to come back to the lodge after a morning hunt and find his bed made andeverything back tonormal when he first saw your facility. So a maid service may be in order in the future. Almost like a mini vacation for them if you treat them right......TREAT EM LIKE KINGS AND THEY WILL RETURN.

The only thing I would add to all the good advice above?? See if you can get a part or even a full time job with an established hunting ranch. Work as a guide for them or ask if you can take a tour of their operation at least. Don't worry about them responding with something about "competition". If they are "established" they will be referring hunters to you after you are set up.

I did this very same thing in South Texas 9 years ago and the info and experience was invaluable. The getting started phase was still a major headache though. Take it slow and don't over-price. If you go about itthe right way, you will be running a very successful business within 5 years if not sooner.

good luck with your venture
Old 07-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: diamondaranch

I agree with all advice above 100%. Especially the food and lodging. Not to brag at all but this is a fact. I have had hunters come back here just for "the food and lodging". It is a great sell point to consider. Another good sell point? If you provide food and lodging....a hunter likes nothing better than to come back to the lodge after a morning hunt and find his bed made andeverything back tonormal when he first saw your facility. So a maid service may be in order in the future. Almost like a mini vacation for them if you treat them right......TREAT EM LIKE KINGS AND THEY WILL RETURN.
I agree with all the above, and this one 100%.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

I guess I wouldnt mind being a guinea pig. If the cost was rightNo seriously I wouldnt mind coming out and giving your place a try. May have to talk it over with my parents but hey....