Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Sleeping Bags

Old 03-16-2005, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sleeping Bags

I am a nut When it comes to over night hunts. I do not make camps,I just use my bag a light tarp and live with it.I use horse and go back in the moutains [who knows how far that hunt].If I find the elk or hear them I sleep there.I have stayed in ins of snow every year.

I have 5 difrant bags now.

I have a 3-d -30 mummy bag allmost 7 pounds. Not a bad bag will work in normal hunting tents.Lot of ground cold comes though.

I have a outfitter sleeping bag. Only rated at -15 i think [not sure]. VERY VERY heavy. This is a good bag deal if weight is of no big deal.Sleeps like a -40 bag very good bag and well protected.

I allso have 2 alaskan guide bags. One is mummy one is not. One is -40 one is -20.This are in my opinion the best bags.they are thermolite insalation bottoms with down tops.In bad weather I cover the bag with the tarp.I had the -40 one for 3 years,with very good hunting trips.Some hunts it is way to much and need the -20 bag.This bag is just slightly heavyer than the 3-d but in my opinion two times the quality.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:04 AM

IMHO Wiggys bags are by far the way to go. Walk in and get 40% off to boot. FRTSS and you get 2 bags in one.

As to down in a bivy bag-- the bivy bag won't help if your plane goes down in the lake or if the raft flips and its not in a waterproof container.

Those are 2 reasons I prefer Wiggys. They can save my life. Weight is not bad either. Even keeps my cold natured wife warm at nite. If I went with down it would be for the weight savings. Adding a bivy to that would mostly defeat that idea in weight. But it all depends on what you are doing and how you are doing it.

Of course its all personal opinion.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:44 AM

Sierra Trading Post has some 0 degree bags for $44 - they've got one that goes to -5. I've got a 0 bag and it works for tent camping in the winter in N. Idaho. It's often too warm and I end up unzipping it. A good pad really helps insulate you - get one of those "you unroll it and it inflates" pads and you'll be comfortable. Sierra Trading Post is a great company to deal with - no questions on returns and if they've got what you want the prices are usually the best.
Old 03-28-2005, 07:18 AM
Spike

REI.com and campmor.com(no e) has many light backpacking sleeping bags for $60-80 or more that would probably work for ya, they have more selection than cabelas
Old 03-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: rost495

IMHO Wiggys bags are by far the way to go. Walk in and get 40% off to boot. FRTSS and you get 2 bags in one.

As to down in a bivy bag-- the bivy bag won't help if your plane goes down in the lake or if the raft flips and its not in a waterproof container.

Those are 2 reasons I prefer Wiggys. They can save my life. Weight is not bad either. Even keeps my cold natured wife warm at nite. If I went with down it would be for the weight savings. Adding a bivy to that would mostly defeat that idea in weight. But it all depends on what you are doing and how you are doing it.

Of course its all personal opinion.

rost495:

Where is their store located??
Old 03-29-2005, 09:34 AM

PATCHBOY,

I just bought one from Cabelas (Hamburg PA store) last week for $89.00 (-30 f)

get one while the have them
Old 03-31-2005, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure if someone else said it at the begining but depending on when you plan on camping should be part of your decision. If it's in the summer, and you buy a -20 bag your going to roast at night. However, in the fall and winter...just perfect. If it's in the summer and you buy a +25 bag, you should be just comfee.