Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

ATV Polaris or Honda?

Old 03-01-2005, 09:54 PM

Default RE: ATV Polaris or Honda?

If you are mechanically inclined, buy the polaris so you can practice working on it. If you want an ATV to ride get a honda.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:16 AM

I have a 1996 polaris 500, the only thing i had to repair over the years are 2 rubber boats that got torn from aggresive backing up in ruff terrain. I had honda, kawasaki and others, over the years and if and when i buy a new one it will be a polaris. Lots of my friends who know me and seen how i use it have been changing over to polaris.
I can fix anything but have not had to worry at all with mine. Watch out for the electric shift on the honda all the guys in our hunt club has had problems with them.
Its funny over the years how "every" atv copies the polaris in all aspects, look at the history of all other atvs. One day the will be like a good "American" made atv!
Old 03-02-2005, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

what do you want in your atv? if you want a strong built, hard-working atv get a yamaha i think the woverine is a 330. I have 3 yamahas and had only one problem with them, on the 1998 model timberwolf 250 the muffler blew but thats it. I have hit so many trees on accident or sliding on ice and the frame has no damages they are strong, hard working atvs overall
Old 03-02-2005, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

I have 2 Polaris atv's. One is a Sportsman 500 and the other a 1994 400L 4X4. Both have been trouble free, reliable units. Would not hesitate to buy another one. Larry
Old 03-02-2005, 09:17 PM

Go with the Honda and you wont be sorry. I personally run Yamaha Grizz 660's and they are about as trouble free for me as you can get. I personally put around 6,000 or so miles on my wheelers in a season ( I have a bear camp in Canada and am on a 4 wheeler almost daily, all day some day all day) anyway I see many many different kinds of 4 wheelers in camp each season. And honestly I bet over half of the Polaris 4 wheelers that come up to camp go home in a non-running condition. Some minor, some major, but either way if you are away from home and need something that works and is very dependable go with a Honda, Yamaha and Artic Cat is another good wheeler. I have a friend of mine that has a Honda Forman, and he will put over a thousand miles on it in about 10 days for the last couple of years and he has never had a problem with his bike, or push button shift as mentioned in another post. And I would have to believe his and my machines has been put through the paces more than most.
Just my thoughts.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I"m sure I'm in the minority here, but I say try the Arctic Cat. I've never owned any other brand, but I did do alot of test riding of the other makes before I bought my first atv in 2001. Its been my only machine since 01' Cat 500 auto. I love my machine. No its not one of the fastest machines, about 55mph tops. But I didn't buy it for speed. I use my machine to plow snow all winter, disc my food plots, haul wood, gravel, and rough trail riding through my woods where atv trails don't exist. I pretty much beat the crap out of my machine. How many problems have I had with it? ZERO! The machine has been awesome for me. Its never been back to the shop for repairs. I've only changed the oil, cleaned the air filter, and replaced a few fender rivets with small bolts. I did blow a headlight this winter while plowing, and have to replace that now. other then those minor deals, its been awesome. I wouldn't trade it for any other make.

All I can recommend is figure out what you want in a machine, and go test every make, and model you can. Oh, and 1 more thing. My machine has gone many places I've had my neighbors Polaris Sportsman get stuck. Plus my machine is still stock!
Old 03-03-2005, 10:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you want to get where you are going quietly, and without the aid of a mechanic, get the Honda! I have the 350 electric shift, gret bike, great price!
Old 03-03-2005, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take a look at the brand of quad that trappers,surveyors and forestry people choose to use at work and you will not find many polaris machines.The vast majority will be hondas with the rest mostly yamahas.These people depend on their quads to carry out their jobs and can't afford breakdowns so they choose the most reliable machines.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got a polaris 400 never had a problem with it
Old 03-03-2005, 05:50 PM

Yall are stupid get the grizzly and get it done!

Quick Reply: ATV Polaris or Honda?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.