Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Arctic Shield Boot Covers

Old 03-14-2005, 07:41 AM

Default RE: Arctic Shield Boot Covers

I've been using these boot covers this winter here in Maine. Here are my observations. I've been involved in some deer reduction programs on some commersial farms. I've been hunting at night and so far my record low temp. was three degrees when I left the stand. The covers are noisy, the material seems to really stiffen up in the really cold temps, I find I really have to think before I make any movement with my feet in an effort to be really quite. They do help keep your feet warmer to a certain degree, However, what I fond really works the best is putting a set of those toe warmers in your boots before you get to your stand, they will last a little while, they need oxygen to work so after a while they will lose there efeectiveness. When I get ot my stand, I place a second set of the toe warmers on the top of my boots over the toe, then put the boot covers on. This has let me stay on stand up to 5 hours in single digit weather. This method really keeps the feet warm. I have no problem keeping my hands, face or body warm but my feet are the first to go. The method I described with two sets of toe warmers and the boot covers really eliminates the possibility of having cold feet. My 2 cents.