Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Climbers vs. Tree size

Old 12-22-2003, 10:07 AM

Default Climbers vs. Tree size

I have a question about climbers that will really influence my decision in purchasing a new one.
I'm not too worried about weight, ease of assembly, or cost. My question has to do with tree size. Most climbers I see are for 8" - 20" dia. trees.
Are there any climbers out there that will fit onto a larger tree. I hunt on private land in hardwood bottoms that has NEVER been logged. Most of the best located trees are larger than 20". I don't feel secure in the smaller trees 8"-16" because I like to climb high (25' avg.) and the good trees are all too large.
Any other climbers I should take a look at???
Old 12-22-2003, 05:33 PM

Default RE: Climbers vs. Tree size

The largest ones I have seen only went up to about 22". I have one that goes up to 20. A 20"tree is pretty big. I would like to find a climber that you can adjust while IN the tree. I too like to go really high and I find that a lot of times when I set the climber so that I can climb with it at the bottom of the tree then the tree gets too small and the climber starts to angle down before I get as high as I like. If anybody knows of one that can be adjusted while in the tree I would be interested to know about it.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:45 PM

Cabelas has a comparison chart for climbers,that may interest you.

Joe
Old 12-22-2003, 06:03 PM

Don't exactly know how large a tree my climber will go into (API Magnum) but I do know that I have climbed some exceedingly large trees with it. I would suggest trying a couple different stands out in the woods you are talking about, you might just be surprised.

With bow I like to hunt high 25 plus feet. The trick is to have the stand angled significantly when you start at the bottom of the tree. the higher you go the more leveled it gets.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

Bloodnativ, not sure about some others, but the Tree Lounge has a leveler
that can be added to it. I have one on mine and it is a must.
www.treelounge.com