Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Topographic Software

Old 11-20-2003, 09:51 AM

Default Topographic Software

I noticed the other day that my topo software from Maptech used topo quads from 1986. Obviously the earth hasn' t changed but I would like to have more recent info on roads and trails. Does anyone know if there is a program out there that has more up todate info on it?
Thanks!!
Old 11-23-2003, 04:16 PM

Default RE: Topographic Software

that' s really weird because i was wanting to ask that question a long time ago. i was just at sam' s club last week and pointed a program out to my wife that i would like to have for an x-mas gift. it' s a brand new program out from national geographic. it' s a 16 disk set that has any location in north america. it goes into great detail. it has everything. from the small lakes and streams to dirt roads and trails. it even has the names of the locations i just mentioned plus even the local names of georgraphical locations. for instance, " dead man' s hollow" or " miguire run" . you can map out where you' ve been and even put your own notes in. it also works with a pda, which i bought for my business but always take it the woods with me incase i need to jot something down real quick. you can take notes in the woods by hand or with a pda and go home and download it right to this program. let' s say 11-01-03 you went hunting for turkeys. say you saw a big buck rub in a certain spot. you can get on your pda (which also can have a topigraphical map on it) click the location and add your notes. then you can look back on it and pinpoint exactly where that spot was. i find it very handy and can' t wait till christmas to get this program. if i remeber correctly it was like $60 at sam' s club.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Muddywater, Mapping and creating precise topography for the United States is a very expensive undertaking, not to mention that it takes a very long time.

Topography does not change a whole lot, it is what it is. Grid coordinates do not change either. Sure, there might be the occasional wash-out that changes a few terrain features, but overall, it remains pretty much the same.

You mention that the software you were looking at had a date of 1986...Chances are that it is simply a revision of maps generated in either 1927 or 1983-84. The changes and updates made to the map will most likely be limited to man made changes such as roads, buildings, trails and the like.

The United states geological service is constantly updating or " revising" their maps. But you must understand that the continental Unites States is a very big place.

Road maps on the other hand are constantly being re-printed, up-dated, or in some cases, entire new maps are generated each year or so to reflect changes.

For instance, I' ll use Atlanta as an example. The amount of new houses and roads built each year is, in my mind simply amazing. There is a real demand for up to date maps of that area.

There is a demand, and there are companies that fill that demand by creating new maps.

Topography, on the other hand does not change much. Sure, there might be a clear cut now, where several years ago there was a stand of old oaks, but that would not be reflected via topography anyway...Whats actually ON the ground is up to you to investigate.

I' ll also add this; Take the time to learn basic topography and grid reading...Then learn how to shoot an azimuth, back azimuth and triangulate your position with a magnetic compass. Then, the information that your GPS gives you will make a lot more sense.

Your GPS is a tool. I' ll give you an analogy; Lets say you want to build a house. The first thing you do is run out and buy a saw.

Well, a saw is a nice thing to have,,,but you gotta have a hammer, tape measure, nails, wood, shingles and the skill to use them all in order to actually build a house.

Navigating in the woods is kind of the same thing...It takes time to learn " how" but it' s well worth the time to learn.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Although the earth hasn' t changed (much) our methods of showing it have. Our earth/globe has been modeled on various Datums (mathematical models) used to depict the roundness (or lack thereof) of the earth for a number of years. As our ability to more accurately depict this curvature has increased, the mapping agencies around the world have utilized this enhanced ability to correct certain assumptions made in earlier years. These assumptions have been proven for the most part to be very close to correct, however, there are some glaring exceptions.
On the east coast of the U.S for example, the difference between the maps drawn to NAD27 (North American Datum of 1927) and WGS 84 (World Geodetic Survey of 1984) have been proven to be very close, within less than a meter for the most part. In the South Western U.S. there have been more significant changes, differences in excess of several hundred feet (75-90 meters) have been noted and this is significant if you are drawing maps (WGS84 and NAD83 are essentially the same) In short, if you are using a map drawn to one datum and using as GPS, make sure the GPS is set to the same datum as your map. If you are using a map and a compass, ignore the whole thing and be sure you understand the deviation table referenced in the lower left hand corner of the map whne you are using your magnetic compass as well as understanding how to read a map in the first place.