HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Topographic Software
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Dave590
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Topographic Software

Muddywater, Mapping and creating precise topography for the United States is a very expensive undertaking, not to mention that it takes a very long time.

Topography does not change a whole lot, it is what it is. Grid coordinates do not change either. Sure, there might be the occasional wash-out that changes a few terrain features, but overall, it remains pretty much the same.

You mention that the software you were looking at had a date of 1986...Chances are that it is simply a revision of maps generated in either 1927 or 1983-84. The changes and updates made to the map will most likely be limited to man made changes such as roads, buildings, trails and the like.

The United states geological service is constantly updating or " revising" their maps. But you must understand that the continental Unites States is a very big place.

Road maps on the other hand are constantly being re-printed, up-dated, or in some cases, entire new maps are generated each year or so to reflect changes.

For instance, I' ll use Atlanta as an example. The amount of new houses and roads built each year is, in my mind simply amazing. There is a real demand for up to date maps of that area.

There is a demand, and there are companies that fill that demand by creating new maps.

Topography, on the other hand does not change much. Sure, there might be a clear cut now, where several years ago there was a stand of old oaks, but that would not be reflected via topography anyway...Whats actually ON the ground is up to you to investigate.

I' ll also add this; Take the time to learn basic topography and grid reading...Then learn how to shoot an azimuth, back azimuth and triangulate your position with a magnetic compass. Then, the information that your GPS gives you will make a lot more sense.

Your GPS is a tool. I' ll give you an analogy; Lets say you want to build a house. The first thing you do is run out and buy a saw.

Well, a saw is a nice thing to have,,,but you gotta have a hammer, tape measure, nails, wood, shingles and the skill to use them all in order to actually build a house.

Navigating in the woods is kind of the same thing...It takes time to learn " how" but it' s well worth the time to learn.