Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Jon-E-Handwarmer

Old 11-23-2003, 08:35 PM

Default Jon-E-Handwarmer

I have a Jon-E-Handwarmer that I use for ice fishing that works great. They also say they are great for long cold days in the tree stand. Since I am new to bow hunting and have been reading allot on this website, what is everyones opinion about using one of these. With all the concern about trying to hide your scent, should one of these be used?
Old 11-24-2003, 04:19 AM

Default RE: Jon-E-Handwarmer

Never heard of them....describe it....Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 11-24-2003, 06:25 AM

It is metal about the size of a large pack of cigarettes. You fill it with fuel which is alike like lighter fluid. After lighting it and letting it set, you put it in a felt bag and it gets very warm. Cabela' s / Bass Pro sell them. They do give off a fuel smell but you usually keep them in a pocket or hand warming muff. They come in two sizes with the larger size when full, will last up to 36 hrs.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Jon-Es stink too much for deer hunting , they' ll give you away every time . The solid fuel type works better . If you have a muff you probably don' t need one anyway . Those Thermacell mosquito repellers make a good handwarmer , and you can use an exhausted scent pad for dispensing deer scents .
Old 11-25-2003, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

They do stink quite a bit but if a deer is able to smell that then he' s going to smell you anyway.
I have tried them and they work ok if you keep them in your pocket and just want to keep your hands warm but they suck if you put them inside your jacket or anything. They need too much oxygen to stay going and don' t stay lit inside your clothes.
Your better off with a few of those disposable heat packets tucked into your shirt pockets to keep your body warm.
Old 11-25-2003, 06:12 PM

I agree with Cyrus,the disposable heat packets are the way to go.The Jon-E really works,but the fuel is smelly.

Joe
Old 11-25-2003, 09:44 PM

I don' t think it would be too much of a problem with rifle, unless you are hunting some thick stuff.