Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

cold hands...try this!

Old 11-20-2003, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: cold hands...try this!

I hear the military issue mickey mouse boots do the trick for any cold situation.
Old 11-21-2003, 03:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cold hands...try this!

S4bill is right .
Both the Mil issue and the Guide Gear versions are available from Sportsmans Guide .
Old 02-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Spike

Hi All,

I was just writing a blog on this topic on our website so thought I'd share it.. Possum Merino Clothing tuns out there are a lot more hunters/fisherman with cold extremities than I thought there would be!

I work for NZ Possum Merino and we have some of the warmest gloves in the world (not a lie!) and they are only avalable from New Zealand. The possum fur is hollow (so it insulates like a Polar Bears) and they are becoming really popular amongst hunters/fisherman and even photographers who get out their early no matter what the temperature, season or weather! Also the merino keeps heating when wet... I don't know how.

Thought I'd try to spread the word.. if you're interested take a look and let me know what ya think. Happy Hunting
Old 02-28-2012, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by s4bill
I hear the military issue mickey mouse boots do the trick for any cold situation.
I have the Mickey Boots in both white and black and haven't used them in years. Used them too long before and HATE THEM!!!!!!! They are like nail kegs on your feet. I now use the Gore-Tex and heater packs with 1/2 the weight.
My wife uses the Secret trick with her bike boots and new shoes. She puts it on her heels to keep from getting blisters and works great. Keeps a spare tube in our bike tour pack just for this.
I may have to try this for my feet as well for they sweat like a "cheap woman" in church and thats my main problem. I bought the Artic Shield boot blankets last year but never got to use them for it was not cold enought to get them out. I used my Rocky Cornstalker 1200grm Cordura boots for 95% of the gun season.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

I bought the muff this year at K-mat for $12. and yes it works.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Spike

The easiest thing is buy one of those sleeping bag like garment that goes all around you and put heat packs in it. Anything else is just extra stuff to Carry this all body covers you and is easy to get in and out and packs smaller then the boots the hand bag and all that other gear you can even dress lighter so walking in you do not get all sweaty and smelly.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a weenie when it comes to cold weather ... which we very, very seldom get down this far south. About 10F is as cold as it will get ... but humidity can be high. I had a brain-fa%t a few years back. Did nothing for cold hands, but cures cold feet and body !!!! Bought a used "army issue" cold weather sleeping bag at a "gun show' for $15. Wife cut the hood off, sewed it back up, added suspenders .... and I had a "body bag" that came up to about my arm pits. It is bulky for sure and certainly restrictive ... but I can easily stand in it. It is useless if it is raining. But for good weather "stand sitting" .... or hanging out all day in a shooting house, add a bulky over coat, the combo is super cozy.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

I've had one of these hand muffs for over 15 years, I love it and its a life-saver in the cold for me. I like to wear light gloves when I shoot and this allows that in cold weather. Breaks the wind and allows for hand warmers too if needed. Just wish I had in in ASAT camo. :/
Old 07-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Spike

Default fighting the cold

I also have used the hand warmer and hot packs. One other thing I did was to sew small pockets on the back of my hunting shirt. The pockets sit right over my kidneys and when "on stand" I slip a couple hot packs in the pockets. You can't believe how having your kidneys warm heats your whole body. I also use the boot warmer hot packs on cold days. keeps you toasty.