Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

cold hands...try this!

Old 11-14-2003, 03:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default cold hands...try this!

For some silly reason, I have hunted in my tree stand for many years and have searched for a good pair of late season gloves that will keep me warm (for at least 6 hours). well after spending a lot of $$$ and countless hours frozen, I finally tried a simple fix. I wear my lightest hunting gloves and bought one of those pouches that fit around you like a fanny pack. I put 2 of those thermal handwarmers in and voila! I could bake freakin cookies in there. It' s such a simple thing but it took me 20+years to figure out. If any of you are in the same boat I' d reccomend you run out and get set-up. It cost me $20.00 for the pouch and only a buck a piece for the heat packs. Now I' ll be toasy for years to come and won' t leave my stand early. Next I need to find out how to keep my feet warm[:' (] I did buy some brand new pac boots and I might even try some of those electric socks Anyone reccomend them? JDinAB
Old 11-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: cold hands...try this!

Where did you get the pouch? One of my buddy' s got one from Cabelas and said its awesome. He didn' t even need hand warmers. He just put his hands in there and said it was warm enough. And after fighting frozen fingers the last two weekend I' m think about investing in one.
Old 11-14-2003, 04:54 PM
Typical Buck

I bought mine from our local hunting store...it definately is good without the heating packs, but for bitter cold weather like we have up here, they are definately a plus. JDinAB
Old 11-14-2003, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

I' ve been using the Hot Hands heat packs for several years. Drop them in my gloves when I get to the stand. I also use them in my boots. When I get to the stand I' ll take off my boots and put a heat pack inside of my outer socks and then put the boots back on. Make sure you put them all the way up to your toes.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am like BT, I wear polyproplene glove liners, a pair of wool flip overs and chuck in the hot hands in the mit portion. I also have one of those pouchs like JD mentioned and use that setup when bowhunting with the liner gloves and hot hands.

For feet if they sweat, spray your feet with the wife' s (soon to be in your case JD) secret the unscented version. Then use polyproplene sock liners and a good quality wool sock on top. Of course a pair of thinsulate/gortex boots is a must in our climate JD. I wear 800 gramers all season and for ice fishing as well, am toasty warm. You can buy vary weights of polyproplene liner socks and I would suggest buying the Helly Hansen (they last 2 times as long as the no namers and only cost a few dollars more). Marks has them for 10-20 dollars a pair here in canada. If sweaty feet aren' t a real problem Thermolite socks are an option as well, they will wick some moisture but for me are not an option as my feet sweat purdy badly. If this does cure the freezy toes, the hot hands or boot blankets will.
Old 11-15-2003, 04:07 AM

Skeeter...good tips but specify it has to be anitpersperant not deoderant & as I don' t use Secret, I don' t know which it is! There is a difference....I always spray my feet down & use 1000grams thinsulate boots.........good luck.......Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 11-16-2003, 07:15 PM

i bought one of them from cabelas and i love it, thank god im young and havent spent many days in the stand with cold hands.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

I have used the hand muff for 10 years and it is the only way to go. Let me add a few more " tricks" to your arsenal. Keep your binocs and rangefinder in it so they don' t fog up when you look through them. If your grunt call freezes up put it in there. I keep tarsals glands in my chest freezer (the wife loves that, she calls them " buck balls" ) and then put them in my muff while I walk to my stand to thaw them out so they are more aromatic. The things we do for deer.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

Why don' t you try some of those boot blanket things. Theyare just like the hand pouches. Stuff a couple fo those little heat packs in there and you' ll be good to go.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:42 AM
Dominant Buck

JD IN ALBERTA ,
you can find a product called an overboot at: sportsmansguide.com , it' s like quilts shaped like boots that go over your footwear . This increases the insulation , and reduces the effect of the wind . If you use " shake and bake" warmers for your feet make sure that they are the low oxygen variety , the hand warmers quit working rapidly in the closed environment of a hunting boot because they deplete the oxygen they need to operate .

Quick Reply: cold hands...try this!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.