Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting vehicles

Old 03-30-2017, 11:39 AM
Spike

Default Hunting vehicles

In your guys' opinion what is the best hunting truck or jeep?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

this is an impossible question, as it comes down to SO many factors
from what type of hunting you do, where you do it, what all you take or bring or need to haul carry or??

for plain jane most capable OFF road in STOCK form, a JEEP Wrangler is HARD to beat, but you will be very limited on what all you can carry haul and tow with it
next step up to ME< on off road ability and to haul and tow SOME things, will be a Toyota Tacoma with there off road package and locking diff's, makes a HUGE difference on where it can get you to on them alone!

after that you get into full sized trucks, and then there is like the dodge/ram, Powerwagon
ford has there raptor, an d Chevy has there one like model too(the powerwagon wins MY vote here for lockers and beefier set up)
almost ANY truck MFG today will also offer factory direct trucks with lift kits and warrantys, but there prices will be CRAZY high!
BUT do you really plan to drive a 30-70K truck thru the woods ??

an ATV is a super tool to have and use, will save you thousands of dollars in damages your TRUCK will endue in the off road world !
Old 03-30-2017, 01:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I absolutely agree, the op's question is only a part of a question and it doesn't take into consideration what you are going to do with your hunting vehicle. As for me, I have a Chevy Avalanche, for me it is the perfect hunting vehicle. It easily carries what I need to hunt, it gets me where I want to go and easily carries the game home, it is very comfortable and the bed is bone dry with the hard panel toneau cover and with the back seat down it has lots of inside space. It is 4wd so weather really isn't an issue unless it is so bad I wouldn't be hunting anyway. Everyone who answers the op's question will have their own requirements for the perfect vehicle and many , many will be different. I think the bottom line is, there is not one perfect vehicle.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 03-31-2017 at 04:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

You need to know how many people, how much gear, and where you will be going. My dad used to go out west in a 15 passenger van, towing a jeep. It got everyone there, and their gear and then they had the jeep for hunting. As far as a trail rig goes, you can't beat a jeep wrangler, especially if it's built. But a wrangler is worthless if you've got six hunters and a 300 miles drive.

If I had the funds I believe I would have a Chevy Colorado ZR2 with the Ecodiesel. Just because I like the idea of small diesel. And the Zr2 is a capable off road truck as well.

Recent hunting vehicles for me include a Chevy Impala, Ford Escape, Chevy Silverado, Jeep Grand CHerokee, Jeep Liberty and a Ford Ranger.... Basically, make use of whatever you have available to you!
-Jake
Old 03-31-2017, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

My CJ 7 has been doing it for me for a lot of years. Soon it will get a brand new steel body to replace the OH so rusty one it wears now.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 03-31-2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

I don't have one but I think an SUV big enough to tow a camper and room to sleep in the van would be ideal. I often wish to go hunt a place overnight or for a day or two but not deal with a camper, but a cooler, sleeping bag and camp stove would work just fine for that length of time.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best muck truck I've had was a Silverado, limited slip rear, 350, automatic. A really good natural mudder. I prefer a pickup, easy to hose out the back. When the Ticks and fleas figure out their ride is dead and disembark trying to find a new host, having them outside is a plus. The down side is I broke the tranny four times, bent a valve, blew a head gasket, three radiators and an intake manifold gasket. That truck stayed broke.

My Cherokee is way more reliable. Both my Cherokees are on their last legs though, salt, rust and neglect. Not real good in the mud, they won't go places the Silverado would.

My lease now is on a hill so I can get away with something less purpose oriented. My last lease was mostly a Creek flood plane, a lot of muck, peat bogs and places to get in trouble. Two or three times a year I'd have to walk out and go hunting for a friendly farmer with a tractor.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mrbb
this is an impossible question, as it comes down to SO many factors
from what type of hunting you do, where you do it, what all you take or bring or need to haul carry or??

for plain jane most capable OFF road in STOCK form, a JEEP Wrangler is HARD to beat, but you will be very limited on what all you can carry haul and tow with it
next step up to ME< on off road ability and to haul and tow SOME things, will be a Toyota Tacoma with there off road package and locking diff's, makes a HUGE difference on where it can get you to on them alone!

after that you get into full sized trucks, and then there is like the dodge/ram, Powerwagon
ford has there raptor, an d Chevy has there one like model too(the powerwagon wins MY vote here for lockers and beefier set up)
almost ANY truck MFG today will also offer factory direct trucks with lift kits and warrantys, but there prices will be CRAZY high!
BUT do you really plan to drive a 30-70K truck thru the woods ??

an ATV is a super tool to have and use, will save you thousands of dollars in damages your TRUCK will endue in the off road world !
I've been looking a lot lately at Tacomas and had pretty much come to the same conclusion. You can haul more people, it can still be used as a commuter and is small enough to get through a lot of trails. I just wish the used ones weren't so expensive.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use a Chevy Suburban Z-71 vehicle for elk hunting many seasons now. It is big enough to haul a lot of gear as well as my elk meat. It does well going up the nasty stretch of 4WD road we take to get into our elk camp. It is vomfortable on my 750 m8le drive from Texas out to SW Colorado.

Of course it is an expensive vehicle. We got it because my wife wanted it to carry kids and to go to Illinois with family and gifts at Christmas.

Interestingly, the Suburban was totalled some years ago, and insurance cut us a $15,000 check. We bought a used Z-71 Suburban with 120,000 miles on it. This now has 200,000 miles on it and is going strong.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Assuming the risk of sounding like Valentine, I've noted over the years, when you talk about the folks who have the disposable income to afford a hunting specific vehicle AND live in town such their only need for a so-capable vehicle, then you're talking about folks with very particular and personal tastes AND very particular needs.

What you need in a hunting vehicle depends upon what you're hunting and where. What a guy WANTS in a hunting vehicle depends upon the person.

A buddy of mine in college was a backpack bowhunter from Utah, he used a subaru outback and swore it was the best thing since sliced bread. All wheel drive, enough room for him and his gear, and a bed if he ever needed it. You couldn't give me one, however.

Generally, I don't like to need my 4 wheel drive when I'm hunting - as that typically means I'm driving somewhere I shouldn't be, and I'm tearing something up (other than snow).

For me, I'm too cheap to commit disposable income to a "hunting truck" which I only use a few months out of the year. I need a truck all year round which is capable of hunting, so that's what I run. I use an ATV in the field - most often a nice and light little cheap 150cc toy, since it doesn't tear up as much, and does what I need of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.