Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunting vehicles

Old 10-03-2017, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Silverado does well for all outdoor needs I have including towing if need be. With that said I am still planning to get an older Jeep Cherokee XJ. Great off road vehicles, cheap to operate, huge aftermarket parts supply and would fit 99% of my needs. Also cheaper to run than the truck.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

again, Offroad traveling and I don't mean DIRT roads, but actual off roading
nothing beats a short wheel base truck(add lockers and some lift and GOOD tires and they will out right surprise you where they can go)

main reason is the approach and departure angles are why they do so well and can get in, up and over things so well
it also helps a ton with break over heights
short wheel base vehicles tend to right BAD on road however!
Old 10-03-2017, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if in response to me MrBB, but I agree those vehicles will do. I just said for me, I prefer the XJ Jeep. It serves my needs and would serve most others needs, maybe not wants but add in a good trailer and it expands your capabilities drastically. I became a huge fan of jeeps and jeep like vehicles after doing volunteer work at off road events out west, riding them off road in Hawaii and Costa Rica. One car I was truly impressed with was the Suzuki Samurai, but doesn't do a hunter much good. I spend all year off road either hunting or surf fishing, the beach areas and hunting areas are heavily traversed by military vehicles including tanks and Amtraks. Full size trucks get stuck often due to longer wheel base whereas shorter wheel based vehicles do pretty well, but if the get stuck they are a lot easier/lighter to move
Old 10-03-2017, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
Not sure if in response to me MrBB, but I agree those vehicles will do. I just said for me, I prefer the XJ Jeep. It serves my needs and would serve most others needs, maybe not wants but add in a good trailer and it expands your capabilities drastically. I became a huge fan of jeeps and jeep like vehicles after doing volunteer work at off road events out west, riding them off road in Hawaii and Costa Rica. One car I was truly impressed with was the Suzuki Samurai, but doesn't do a hunter much good. I spend all year off road either hunting or surf fishing, the beach areas and hunting areas are heavily traversed by military vehicles including tanks and Amtraks. Full size trucks get stuck often due to longer wheel base whereas shorter wheel based vehicles do pretty well, but if the get stuck they are a lot easier/lighter to move
MY post wasn't aim'd at anyone, was just stating some honest info on off roading, so, NOT bashing or looking to pick any fights LOL

I have been off roading from mild to wild(monster truck racing )
all things have to be in consideration as to HOW and where you off road

some folks think driving off road is driving on dirt roads in state land, to others it means testing your vehicles limits in extremes

to some hunters, again dirt roads are all they will ever do
get up in more remote places, like AK< or such, and you start to see more modified vehicles aimed at hunting and off road ability's

get into texas, and you will start to see things with chairs on them?

or down south in swamps, , 5 ton running gear and platforms for cab's
again, comes down to where how and WHY
but in general, Jeeps win, second IMO will be the Toyota tacoma's, as they have outstanding off road packages, front and rear lockers in a stock truck(dodge also had that in there power wagon, but price tags will be a big difference in things, as will where BOTH can go) but the smaller vehicles are just more nimble

weight of vehicles comes into play, as again approach and departure angles and break over angles?
all the HP in the world does you NO good if your vehicle gets hung up!

the tacoma wins over the jeep with room, and way more nimble than a full sized truck, will NOT get as scratched up too, being narrower

I have a LOT of yrs playing of road , gotten about everything there is stuck, from trucks jeeps, mx bikes to bull dozers
played in mud, sand water, hills snow, rocks, to drag strips, you name it, young and dumb and a slow learner at first and them got serious about playing there

also hunted all over with trucks, from AK to east coast
every job has a better tool, and No one is perfect every where!
Old 10-04-2017, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hear Jeep is bringing back a Jeep/truck version which may be awesome! or maybe not...

I'd take a truck in general, depending on your needs may be different, crew cab vs extended etc...1500 vs 2500 vs 3500

gas vs diesel.

I'd want 4wd. perhaps lifted 2-6", maybe 33 or 35" tires.

I know most guys like loud mufflers but I always though stock/quiet would be a better option for hunters.

I wouldn't mind a flat paint job one day... like flat deer brown/tan...