Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Hunters Safety System Vest

Old 10-20-2003, 11:28 AM

Default Hunters Safety System Vest

After using my Hunter' s Safety System Vest for a week I have decided it' s a keeper.

After getting tangled with a full body harness, I started looking around for a new/better system. While at my neighbors one evening, I asked my friend’s husband what he used in his stand. He showed me his Hunter Safety System vest, but couldn’t give me an opinion, as he hadn' t yet used it. He let me borrow his for an evening to check it out.
(Aren’t I lucky to have neighbors like that)
WOW was I impressed (even though his was an extra large) but I was reluctant to spend that much money on one. (Approx. $100) after a few more days of fighting with my harness, I made a trip to Gander Mountain to purchase one. They were all out. I called numerous sports shops in the PGH. area and could not locate one in my size. Dick’s Sporting Goods does not carry them. After shopping online I ordered from Keystone Country Store. http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/

Sale price $76 ($90 with s&h and tax)
I don’t know if they still have this advertised sale or not.

Yes, I know that is a lot of $$$$, to me it is worth it, not having all the hassles and aggravation that the full body harness caused me, besides being uncomfortable.

My order was placed on Thursday evening and here Monday afternoon.

There are 4 snaps/buckles, 2 around chest and 1 for each leg.
The 2 for the legs, I keep snapped and just step into it. Takes me 10 seconds to step into the legs and fasten it up. The small will fit a youth or small female. I went with a small because it is adjustable; I can wear it under or over different hunting coats. I have worn it both ways and it is comfortable either way. Mine is reversible, so I can use mine in rifle season. They make a solid green lining if you don’t want the reversible camo orange. There are pockets on each side of the reversible vest. The only cons I could come up with are very small, the first being (besides the price)
the tether that attaches to the tree, I replaced it with the strap from my full body harness. It had an unusual buckle on it that I didn’t like. This is such a great system, that I am not sure if that is a con. For me it was an easy fix. The outside pocket is small, when I when to put my hand with my release in it, it was very tight, but this is a small sized vest. The last few days, I have worn the vest under my jacket and us my big pockets to keep hands warm with my hot hands.

I definitely give this a vest a 10!!!

BTW,the same neighbor bought a new shotgun, hummmm wonder if I was to mention to him that I was thinking of purchasing the same gun if he would let borrow that for the first day of rabbit season… hummmmm[/size][/size]

[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]
Old 10-20-2003, 06:18 PM

Default RE: Hunters Safety System Vest

i bought one this year also.. I LOVE IT.. you dont even know you have it on..
Old 10-22-2003, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunters Safety System Vest

Thanks for the review. This is a product I' ve been looking at for the past few months. I' m still using my API harness that came with my stand. It' s ok but I' m tired of untangling it and trying to figure out which end goes where.