Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 Hunter Safety System Vest >

Hunter Safety System Vest

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

Hunter Safety System Vest

Old 10-09-2005, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunter Safety System Vest

I bought a HSS vest before season this year. I did a lot of research on different vest before choosing this one. My initial findings with the vest were ok, but one trip into the woods with it changed my mind dramatically. In fact, I left the woods at noon, ran to a sporting goods store and purchased a new Seat O the Pants harness to use in the afternoon.

Here are my thoughts on the vest.

Comfort - The vest is comfortable but not what I was expecting. My idea of a good harness is something you dont know you have on. This one, you definitely know you have it on. Its kind of hard to thoroughly explain what the vest is like. Weight is another issue. It will weight you down. With the seatbelt style buckles and full vest with pockets, the vest is much heavier than others.

The seatbelt buckles are placed in area that really annoyed me. While sitting in the tree, not matter what I did, I was clanking into the with something. Also, in a seated position, there is slack in the leg buckles and they can, and do clank together occasionally.

Before going to the woods with this thing, I tested it out myself by hanging in it as if I'd fallen. The crotch pressure I found was very noticable. I can't even imagine what I fall would do. This harness is not comfortable at all in that way.

Ease of Use - This is the only place it shines. It is very easy to put on and take off. But, I do not like the extremely large chest buckles. I also am not a fan of the seat belt buckles. With all of this, the vest seemed cumbersome to wear.

Many of you may have seen the excellent article and review on Bowsite about this harness and the SOP Supreme. I feel the review was right on the nail with my personal findings. The leg straps being where they are located is amajor concern. The will definitely put a major hurting on your crotch. Though this is better than hitting the ground, I'd rather have a harness that is not going to cause that much pain.

Conclusion - I did not like this harness. I wore it to the woods one time and then replaced it with a SOP harness. Yes, its not the worst design out there, but if definitely isn't the best. It's far better than hitting the ground and breaking your back or worse. But for the price of this system, you can have a better harness in my opinion.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hunter Safety System Vest

Thanks for the input. How do you like the SOP?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot for a sales rep and could get one for free, but I have had a SOP Supreme for about 5-6 years and see no reason to change. The SOP is still one of the best systems we have. Some complain that it gets tangled up, but the straps don't get tangled by themselves. And I've learned a few tricks to getting the right and left straps right. It's called different colored felt markers. Same goes for getting it right side out. Mark the inside with black markers.

That being said, I can put this thing on in the dark in about 5 minutes. It's like walking around your house in the dark. Do it enough and you learn how not to stub your toes. Ya take your time and get it right---and practice. Isn't your life worth a little time to practice?
Old 10-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree that the SOP harness is tough to beat. I have had mine for four years and have found it very comfortable and relatively easy to use.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:08 PM

Wish I would have read this post earlier, I just bought a Vest. I like the ease of use, hopefully I'll like it....didn'tlike the full body harness.....don't remember the brand.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:38 AM

I had a buddy tell me that he hatedhis Vest. Same findings as you, heavy and he didn't like the buckles.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like I said, I its better than hitting the ground, but I think it needs improvement. A good safety vest you shouldn't know you have on, but this one, combined with the weight and bulk, was kind of irritating to me.

As for the question about the SOP. I think its the best out there right now. Form a safety and comfort standpoint. Put it on before you leave the house and you won't have any trouble. I especially like the new buckles they use. Very small, simple and quiet.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:49 PM

we had a recall on the harnesses that came with our stands and they never sent new one and i thought about getting the HSS but opted for the SOP fastback and i am glad i did it is very comfortable i actully for got i had it own this evening,,,the one and only complaint i have about it is that the back rides a little high up on my back but that is just prolly how i have it adjusted.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have had HSS for 3 seasons now and have no complaint! True it is a bit on the heavy side but I will never sacrifice comfort for safety. You better hope that light weight stuff holds up when the time arrives. For me I use a harness for a living and the HSS is way lighter than the one I use for work so this does not bother me! The one thing I do know is that I know it will work if needed! JMO!
Old 10-13-2005, 12:58 PM

I just purchased the HSS vest as well. I have no problems with mine at all. No complaints here.

Kent

Quick Reply: Hunter Safety System Vest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.