Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunters Safety System vest question >

Hunters Safety System vest question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunters Safety System vest question

Old 11-23-2006, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Default Hunters Safety System vest question

One question......can the vest/harness be worn UNDERNEATH a jacket?
Old 11-23-2006, 09:54 AM

Default RE: Hunters Safety System vest question

Unfortunately, not unless you cut a hole in your jacket. You could put the strap through the collar of your shirt/jacket, but it will limit your movement quite a bit since the strap is so low on your upper back when it's on.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Spike

I just purchased one of the HSS harness/vests yesterday.

It can be worn underneath a jacket, but the tether will prevent you from using the jacket hood (obviously).

I intend to wear mine over my jacket. I bought the reversible one that will allow me to take advantage of the vest orange during rifle season. I also plan to use the vest pockets to hold my stuff.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Dominant Buck

There is no need to cut holes in Jackets or anything like that. Just feed the strap out the top of the jacket. I lay it up over my shoulder, put on the jacket and then flop the strap back over the collar. No sweat. My ONLY complaint with the system is this. I had one of the old original ones that was fabric. I thought I just had to have one of the mesh ones with all the neat little pockets etc for warmer weather. Well, the mesh is the problem. If you wear it on the outside the mesh can get caught on the bark of a lot of trees. Save the money and buy the solid fabric ones. I still love mine, but could have saved myself $20.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the replies guys. I was afraid I'd hear that answer. I was hoping the tether strap would lead overhead so a jacket could be put on over the vest at the stand site.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmmm. Thanks David. So the strap that leads from the vest is heading out of the top of the jacket correct? I guess what I am saying is I do not want a vest/harness where the strap would have to ride out of the bottom of the jacket.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the HSS and I like it alot, but the seat belt buckels are a bit bulky. Anyway, I took mySkyline-Horizon winter coat to a taylor and had a slit cut and sewn for the teather strap to pass through, so I can keep my coat sealed tight. It really works great but I think quality garments should come with this.
The teather strap comes right off the top of the harness unlike what someone said earlier.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Banned

If you want a REAL safety harnass vest; get a Summit Seat-O-Pants vest. Comes with a linesmans belt built into it as well as the middle of the back safety belt. It stores your safety ropes with the Summit prussic knot in the back of your vest in a pocket and is made of high quality camo cloth instead of mesh. A linesmans belt is essential to me with my type of Lone Wolf climbing sticks, new setup each day. Yes, it can be worn under your clothes or coat. When I wanted a vest I compared them all and nothing could hold a candle to the Summit Vest.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Coug, I always wear mine under my jacket. The strap is at the top so the only problem is as someone stated, you can't really use the hood of your jacket. I like to have the option of taking my jacket off midday if it gets warm, without fumbling with the harness.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

I love mine and have worn it both ways only complaint buckles make it heavy

Quick Reply: Hunters Safety System vest question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.